Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune up questions due to stumble

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up questions due to stumble

My 98 WS6 has 50k on the original plugs. I bought Bosche Platinum +4's, the ones with the 4 electrodes. Are those good for my stock LS1?

I am replacing the fuel filter because I believe its original along with the plugs...

The reason I am doing all of this is:

If the car is cold, it starts and runs fine. If I pull into somewhere after its been warm and let it sit for 5 minutes, when I go to drive it, it stumbles and sometimes stalls. It will start fine when hot, backup fine, but when you go to drive for the first 45 seconds its like its not getting enough fuel and stalls. Anyone have a similar problem? If I rev it up and drive it as best I can, it will eventually clear up.

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Bosch makes the worst plugs ever. Take them back and get some TR55's or some AcDelco's and you should be good. The four electrodes just make the price higher, there is no need for them, it's just a marketing scheme. The number of electrodes will not make one bit of a difference.

Ryan
Old 02-04-2004, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I will. I went to advance and they didn't sell the NGK's. I will hunt around for them. What do you gap them to on a stock LS1?

Are the Magnacore wires worth $85? They are 8" long!

Still have my stumble problem. The car even stalls out totally and never throws a code. I can't understand how it could stall and barely run for 45 seconds and not throw a code.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
Bosch makes the worst plugs ever. Take them back and get some TR55's or some AcDelco's and you should be good. The four electrodes just make the price higher, there is no need for them, it's just a marketing scheme. The number of electrodes will not make one bit of a difference.

Ryan
Here we go again! How about some concrete evidence showing how "Bosch makes the worst plugs ever"

Last edited by sunsetz28; 02-04-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know about the Bosch's, but I just did a plug & wire swap using NGK TR55IX and MSD wires, and it feels like a brand new car! accelerates much smoother, no more popping sound from the exhaust, and it idles a little better. I dont know if this is your problem, but, its worth doing.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Clear answers.

Okay, Bosch does NOT make the worst plugs ever. But, depending on what you want out of yer car, they may not be the best for you.

Remember, 4 electrodes doesn't mean much. The spark is still just gonna find the path of least resistance, probably to the nearest (only ONE) electrode. 4 is unnecessary.

Most folks around here aren't looking for efficiency, they want performance. A "V" top copper plug has good surfaces for spark propagation. They will also burn cooler, and evacuate heat from the cylinder better. Platinum tips are for a hotter burn, helpful w/ emissions. Remember, a spark plug has 2 main functions: Ignite the fuel/air mix and cool the cylinder. This is why there are heat ranges for spark plugs (It's not 'cause some ignite at a lower temp). Cooler air is denser air and heat ranges for plugs play a part in that.

I *had* Magnecors. They disintegrated next to the increased heat (yes, using shields) of longtubes. I have the Taylor Thundervolts from ThunderRacing...
Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fact that your not getting a check engine light tells me that your stumbling problem is most likely related to worn out parts. I would recommend the MSD 8.5 wires, NGK tr55 v-power plugs, AC Delco fuel filter and then see if the problem still persists. BTW, .050 on the NGK's work great. Also when is the last time the air filter was swapped out? Fred
Old 02-05-2004, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I put in a new K&N last September. The last 2 days the car has run fine. Maybe its weather related.

Damn wires are awefully expensive for this thing. They are 1/4 of the total length for most vehicle yet twice the price...
Old 02-05-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Well, they may not be the worst plugs EVER, but I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts and A LOT of people come back in asking for new plugs saying their car is misfiring not 2 months after they bought them. And I gapped my TRT55's at .050.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

I first bought the Bosch's too. Replaced the stock ones with them and immediately had idle and stumble problems. I thought it was the Accel 300+ wires. But 6,000 miles later I changed to the NGK's which are cheaper BTW, and what a diference! Also due a search here on Top Engine Cleaner or Sea Foam. You can poor this stuff into you're engine while it is running thru the PCV line from you're passenger head to TB. Disconnect the PCV line from your passenger head while the car is idleling put a small funnel in it and slowly poor the whole can in and keep the car running till it's done. Then let the car sit for a few hours. When you start the car later let it warm up to normal operating temp and rev it up. Don't be alarmed by all the "white" smoke, this too will pass. Also I bet you're sucking oil into the TB from the PCV. Good Luck.