Sponsored by:

Could I have cracked a 918?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could I have cracked a 918?

Hello all,

A little worried here. Been a while since I last posted but need some input..

Upon cold startin my car the other morning, as it was coming up to temp, I heard a slight tick. Initially I thought it could be my exhaust rubbing up against a heat sheild as my exhaust is endlessly making noise. But within seconds the slight tick turned into a loud, fast knock which was then accompanied by an apparent one or multiple cylinder misfire. Car was shaking like crazy... I opened up my door to get a better ear on the situation and as soon as I heard what sounded like someone taking several hammers and smashing my engine block, I shut it down. All of this happened in about 10 seconds.

So I plan on pulling the valve covers off this weekend after the holiday. I have about 28k on my comp 918's. Don't they say they have a lifespan of 30-40k?
Anyone have this happen? I'm just worried that a valve dropped and is bent.
thanks guys.

Rick.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just take off a valve cover and check. A lot easier then speculating in my opinion. How long have the springs been used? Just because they can last to 40k mileage does not mean they will last for 4+ years with out being changed.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

definitely take your valve covers off.

Just to say, I have to laugh when people think " something will last x amount of miles because they said so". There are so many variables in there. RPM, Lift, how you take car of the car, propper installation. I don't like to give a life span, you don't know who is installing and if they know what they are doing.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dropped a valve.... same thing just happened to me on the highway. first it was a very light tick, then extremly loud when the valve dropped and then boom threw a rod when the piston siezed from being mashed like that. When you heard that slight tick you should have shut the car down right away. Because u would have only broken the spring at that point and saved the valve...... I know this cuz I broke like 8 springs on my old build do to someones bad install
Old 11-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I would just take off a valve cover and check. A lot easier then speculating in my opinion. How long have the springs been used? Just because they can last to 40k mileage does not mean they will last for 4+ years with out being changed.
This is what you need to do takes 30 minutes.