Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

programming a programmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default programming a programmer

I have a theoretical question. I have a superchips programmer with a custom tune in it. We all know that a programmer just pulls the stock program and stores it then flashes in the new program. My question is, that since the custom tune in the programmer is no longer of use to me, can I hook it up and let it pull the program I am currently running and flash its program in, then use edit to rewrite the pcm with another program-say a nitrous file, then hook the programmer back up and let it switch my current tune back in and store the nitrous prog. What I would like to end up with is a programmer that I could write my own programs to. Is this possible?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Sounds like it would work in theory. The question then becomes does the programmer actually store and load the complete flash memory, or just the tables that it was designed to change (timing, shifts, etc...)? If it doesn't load everything, you could find yourself with a high shift point with the incorrect injector flow rate.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L-EATER
I have a theoretical question. I have a superchips programmer with a custom tune in it. We all know that a programmer just pulls the stock program and stores it then flashes in the new program. My question is, that since the custom tune in the programmer is no longer of use to me, can I hook it up and let it pull the program I am currently running and flash its program in, then use edit to rewrite the pcm with another program-say a nitrous file, then hook the programmer back up and let it switch my current tune back in and store the nitrous prog. What I would like to end up with is a programmer that I could write my own programs to. Is this possible?
the superchips programmer may not not pull the entire stock program, a friend tried using a A4 98 superchip programmer, programmed his car fine (98 M6) and when he put his car back to stock, it flashed the computer to a A4 (he had a M6) he needed to tech 2 reflash it to get it to run right.

your idea sounds good in theory, but i don't know if the superchips programmer really pulls the entire program that is in the computer, and stores it as stock. After that happened to my friend, i mentioned it to some of the superchip guys i know, but didn't get a responce.

Ryan
Old 02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks guys. I don't want to end up frying the pcm or anything-its not that big of a deal. I just thought that since I already have the thing I could use it as a quick way to switch to a N20 program without having to carry the 'ol laptop everywhere.