Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Data Bus Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Bus Question

Hey Im new here and I have a question about something I heard in a stereo shop. I have a 02 trans am with the monsoon system and i was going to get subs and a new head unit and an amp put in, and the guys at one shop said that i would need a data bus adapter so that i could take out the old radio and still have my door chimes and such. another shop looked at a little book and he said that for a 02 you dont need to do that. which is true? do i need to spend the ninety bucks for a data bus adapter in addition to all this other stuff? thanks for your help
Old 02-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Teching In

im not trying to be pushy, but is there anyone who has installed stuff on a 02 trans am who knows about this databus thing? someone must have experience with this at some point. please help, cuz im clueless. thanks again for your time
Old 02-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

None of the F-bodies have the data bus equipped radios. The only connectors on the radio are the usual power, speaker and ground as well as the optional CD changer harness. The radio is not part of the body control system (alarm, keyless entry, etc.) so you can replace it without worrying.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Teching In

thankyou so much. that takes a lot of extra worry off my mind about having to do some adapter stuff. thanks again.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Agreed, no data bus on ANY F-body

They started that on SOME 02' GM cars but not all. They started the data bus on all 03' GM Full Size Trucks and some S-10s.