Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new plan for jet boat build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new plan for jet boat build

I kinda wavered between using my old small block and a LS. Well yesterday a compression test on the old sbc revealed that in fact I will be using a ls.
Im looking at the 5.3 to save money, would like to have all aluminum. doing a carbed setup will just be easier to do and easier to work on and tune at the river.
Are the 5.3 gen 3 or 4 both usable candidates or should I stick with gen 3?
On a boat the only accessory I need is the alternator. What would the hp/ torque value be with a low mile 5.3 carbed setup? searching through all the forum all I get is rwhp and torque numbers, but I'm more interested in the crank figures, as in a jet boat we don't run a trans. With all the cost of everything else like headers, PTO's, fuel pumps, etc I cant get a 6.0 anymore, its just too much money.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The aluminum blocks will probably cost the same as an iron 6.0. Save the 70 lbs in other areas if price is a major factor.
Good news is that iron 5.3s w/o harness and computer are almost free. I just got one for my project. And a 6.0 swap at a laterdate is a direct bolt in.
I would suggest the MSD sperk control since it has computer programable timing rather than just the "pills".
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Yeah around here it's hard finding some 5.3's that are anywhere near the prices I've seen here on the board. I would love to have the aluminum block for the weight savings but it's not 100% necessary. I plan on using the 6010 and have researched it. I have a old laptop that'll work with it. I also have a Holley 650 marine vac secondary carb that will work fine. I'm trying to do it as cheap as I can until I unload some of my sbc parts
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Also, if you're on a budget, consider a used LS1 cam/springs. They show up on ebay for under $50. There was a budget build thread here with a 5.3, LS6 cam, carb, that showed amazing dyno numbers.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the heads up on that

Quick Reply: new plan for jet boat build