Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ls1 owner motor build advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ls1 owner motor build advice

Alright I bought a 99 ls1 for cheap because it had some motor noise. I have had different opinions of what it is from push rods, valves, to piston slap. Im still unsure. I definately wanna use this oportunity to put me something together the motor has 177xxx on it anyways so im sure it wont hurt to pull it and get the show on the road!! I have a few friends on here offering advice but id like as much imput as possible before i jump into it. My friend is giving me a set of 799 but they have been milled 030 he had them on his 6.0 and did this to bump compression. He also has a f-14 i wanna buy. I read on it and it seems to be a good cam. My first plan was to use this cam and heads on my 5.7 but was informed i may have problems with the heads being milled. Next my friend said it would be just as easy to do a 6.0 at this time. Please chime in and offer sugestions id really like to stick with just getting a new 5.7 short block using the f-14 and the 799 will them being milled 030 cause me ptv problems with that cam. I have a a4 3.73 3500 stall ls6 intake and full bolt ons by the way with a 100 dry waiting to take its place! Let me know what yall think and your help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since it looks like the options you are considering will involve a new block (5.7 or 6.0) I would first get with someone like Vengeance Racing, or Texas Speed and discuss the block options togoether with the parts you have (or may have) that you would like to use.

These folks can help you cooridinate your part selection, both old and new, so that you end up with a set of components that meet your goals and avoid compatability problems (which are expensive).