Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dead Stereo OR Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Dead Stereo OR Speakers?

Sooooo, no sound! ... Stock Monsoon. Changed a few speakers a few years back. Head unit lights up and "looks" in working order but it's like ALL the speakers are dead. Not even a lil buzzing sound from power running through them.

Anyway, my question. Are all the speakers actually dead or is it something else? ... I have ZERO stereo knowledge so I'm sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Have you checked the RADIO and RADIO ACCY fuses? The radio has two power sources - constant (battery) power through the PWR ACCY fuse keeps the memory and will allow the display to light up and display the clock. But the radio won't function without also having ignition switched power through the RADIO fuse.

The RADIO ACCY fuse protects the Monsoon amp but this is not likely the problem in this case since you would still get some sound from the tweeters (which are powered directly by the head unit).

Don't rely on a visual inspection of the fuse - it can look fine but still be blown. Always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

easy way to check your speakers is with a 9v battery. Pull a speaker and touch the + and - of the 9v to the + and - of the speaker it should make a pop sound. If it does they are mechanically functional.

The liklyhood of all four speaks blowing is little to none, I bet would be you got head unit problems. If you have a factory amp then that is also a possibility, check connections and verify voltage to the amp. I dont know about your year specifically but the amp is located in the wheel well around the spare tire.

If I am incorrect on the location I am sure some one will chime in and let you know.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are great suggestions! Thanks!... I'll go ahead and do both suggestions once I get the chance.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-03-2011 at 04:26 AM.