Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock motor hydolocked... Building a LQ9 / L92 / L76 street motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock motor hydolocked... Building a LQ9 / L92 / L76 street motor

This is the first time I'm going to attempt to build up my motor this extensively. I did a cam swap a couple years back, and this is going to be a big learning process for me. Here's what I'm planning to do, and I'd appreciate any notes, or help the community here can give me. I've been away from this forum for a while, as the car has been sitting in my driveway with a blown motor. I have about 5K to work with. Heres the plan

6.0L LQ9 Shortblock
ARP Rod Bolts
New Lifters (not sure which ones)
GM Stock L92 heads
GM L92 head gaskets
GM Stock L76 / LS3 Intake
Larger TB (thinking 92 mm fast, but open to suggestions)
New ported LS6 oil pump (have one on the current motor, but I think it was exposed to water, not sure if its usable)
Used hardened push-rods (from the old motor)
New Knock Sensors (It was a 98 motor, so might as well)

I'm planning on using most of the front accessories from the old motor, but I need to replace the power steering pump as it was leaking quite a bit. The car has 180,000 miles on it, so Ill inspect all the accessories before putting them on the new motor and replace accordingly. The transmission is rebuilt, and has a Ls7 clutch / FW setup.

Where have you guys had the most success finding LQ9 shortblocks with reasonable ( <50K ) mileage?
I'm planning on taking the motor out from the bottom, is this the best way?
With my budget, could I get a built shortblock? (sponsors, feel free to PM me or post offers)

Im sure Ill have a lot more questions, and I'll continue to research considerably until I feel like I'm ready to go through with the whole project. Thanks for any help in advance.

-Chris
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should take a look at our 6.2L forged iron shortblock. I would even though in a new set of knock sensors for you.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive got an LQ9 for sale, Lingenfelter CNC LS3 heads, FAST 102mm intake, Comp Cams cam and lifters, etc, etc. PM me if your interested