New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhh Ohh!! GF's T/A wouldnt start last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Uhh Ohh!! GF's T/A wouldnt start last night!!

Okay, soo I changed the plugs to TR55's a couple weeks ago and the car was running great!

Well, one evening while at her parents, we went to leave and the car wouldnt start, I cranked it on/off for about 45 sec. then shut it off, then tried again and it started right up...hmm weird. Now, yesterday it did the same exact thing while we were out at lunch...then it ran fine all yesterday. This brings us to last night at my friends house. My gf ran to the store to get some snacks, and like 20 min goes by and she isnt back. Soo I call her, and the same damn thing has happened but the car wont start at all!! Soo, we run up there, and sure enough it will just crank and crank and crank. Tried pushing it and popping the clutch, nothing.

Soo, its now at my friends house...and we have no idea wtf is going on.

I do have an SES light, and my other friend is bringing over his Autotap this afternoon, but maybe someone could shed some light on this and give me a few ideas??

Btw, the motor mod list is:

Z06 cam
Dynatech longtubes
LS6 intake

Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Are you getting fuel? When cranking try pressing the shrader valve to see if you have some fuel pressure. If you have fuel then see if your getting spark. Just try to eliminate the possibilities one by one.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Air - Fuel - Spark

Those are the three things necessary. I'd check spark first since you messed with the plugs.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

We did confirm that its getting fuel...made sure the pump is working, etc.

I believe there is no spark, but what could cause there to be no spark all of a sudden???
Old 02-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the wires to make sure they are are plugged into the coils and that they are pushed all the way on to the plugs?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Teching In

About the wires and coils. That happened to me after a server slide after a snow storm
coming back from Indy over a month ago. I had two wires off. At the time I didn't know that.
Took it to the dealership and that was the problem. It cost me over 70 dollars to find it but it was better than finding out than having to replace anything major.
My car is a 2002 FIREHAWK. That might be your problem. Like unit213 said.

Adam
Old 02-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I am collecting as much info as I can, soo when I get to my buddies house, we can trying everything possible.

If we cant figure it out, at least I have another friend with Autotap that can tell me what the SES light is.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:35 PM
wrencher

With out the car running w/key on, you will have the SES light illuminated for bulb check.
Go back to basics, proper fuel pressure?
Good spark?
Injector pulse from PCM?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Check the connection of the crank position sensor under the car. After I installed my SLP LT's, I had the same thing happen. I had no spark. Turned out that one of the prongs was bent. I bent it back and she fired right up. Also, check the proximity of wires to the header pipes. The heat could melt the insulation and cause problems.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem just today, and I was flippin out since I just installed the TB Bypass, Cutout(open all weekend), and LID. Turned out to be the Gas Cap wasn't screwed on all the way. It's always the simple things that byte you in the ***.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tnnntj
I had the same problem just today, and I was flippin out since I just installed the TB Bypass, Cutout(open all weekend), and LID. Turned out to be the Gas Cap wasn't screwed on all the way. It's always the simple things that byte you in the ***.

Soooooo yer car wouldn't start because the gas cap was loose

SSN8R
J
Old 02-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSN8R
Soooooo yer car wouldn't start because the gas cap was loose

SSN8R
J
Yeah I'm an idiot, but that isn't news unless you've never met me. But its always nice to meet someone who's achieved perfection, conratulations!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done a spark test? I always do the old stick a screw driver in the plug end of a wire and put the metal shaft of the screwdriver next to metal and crank the car. Oh, don't do this without pulling the fuel pump fuse to keep the car from actually starting..you'll see the blue flash between the screwdriver and body if you have spark.

Do check the harness that runs along side the passenger side header..common problem with longtubes is that they burn up those wires. The harness has the wiring for the crank position sensor in it among other things..I had to completely re wire mine this year due to alot of burned up crap in there.

All this is kinda speculation until you find out eactly what that code is..usually that will give you a more specific place to start looking so you don't waste your time..
Old 02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone!!

I checked fuel pressure and I have 60psi at the rail...then I pulled a plug and checked for spark...and there was none! Soo, now that I know there is a no spark issue, I guess I need to figure out where to go from there.

I am going to try the suggestions you guys gave me and see what happens!

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2004, 04:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one or 2 bad coil packs???
check your fuses and make sure you didnt burn the ing. fuse???