Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Practical Transmission Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Practical Transmission Question.....

I have a '94 Camaro for my project car, which currently has a 3.4L V-6 and a M-5......did some digging and found out it's actually a World Class T-5. (yup, I didn't know that. thought that was just V-8 3rd gens)

I used to rebuild them, so I know it's basicly junk in stock form for what I want it for but only weighs about 75 lbs. I did alittle research and found companys like Pro Motion out there that sell rebuild kits that can make them handle 600+ hp for around $2,200.00. It's making it dam tempting to just keep it.

My goal for the car is to make it a street car that can "autocross" on the weekends. I was origionally planning picking up a 4L-80E and converting it to manual shift. I've rebuild afew AOD's, 4L-60E's and T-5's in the past, so I figured I could do all the work myself and have a very tough tranny for about $2,000.00. Well within my over-all budget. Back when I did rebuild T-5's, these kit's were not avalible.

See where I hit a snag, fits the budget and I have the experience to do it. What would you do?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The T5 has some fundamental weaknesses that can't be overcome with hardened gears. While a T5 upgrade is a nice project, with LS1 plans, you'd really be throwing good money at bad. A stock LS1-T56 with a "stage2" rebuild kit could be obtained for probably less than that $2200 and last alot longer. The extra weight of the T56 is low and in the middle of the vehicle, not as critical as if it was hanging out in the front of the engine bay..

IMHO, If you worked on T5s, the T56 will be alot easier for you to pickup...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the imput. I've got nothing but time to decide what to do. (deployments tend to do that) So I'm gonna do a bit of research, plenty of books out covering the T-5 and 4L-80E. Not finding any on modifying a T-56 though, just a download of a factory rebuild manual.

If you guys got any links on T-56 or T-5 Mods, please send them my way

And if anyone is running a T-5, please let me know how it's holding up to an LS motor