Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does this disk look worn to you? (Monster 3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this disk look worn to you? (Monster 3)

It's a Monster Level 3, used, I'm looking at buying it from a friend. Doesn't look like the entire puck is contacting the flywheel or pressure plate yet-should it when it is fully broken in? There's just about no wear on either the flywheel or pressure plate, I can still see machining marks on the PP and the ridge on both is under .04mm. Disk measured around 8mm thickness at the outer rivet of the pucks. Going to send SNL an email with the rest of the pics today but I need a better internet connection than I have at home.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That doesnt even look broken in in my opinion. Although i'm not sure why only the outside looks likes its contacting. It's probably still in that chattering phase of breaking in
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like it was driven around the block. whats your concern ?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Teching In

It's a used clutch I'm looking at buying from a friend. He got it in a package, used, with a T56 out of a goat. Guy said it had 500 miles on it. My concern is wear, improper break-in, etc. To me it looks like it's not even broken in yet as well. When it is fully broken in, the entire puck should be contacting on both sides right?

BTW sorry for the gigantic pics...I can't edit them on photobucket because my internet is so slow.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

it dont evin look like its been used for 200 miles

this is my spec after 1900 miles....no caliper though...

Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.P. Steve sent you an e-mail, please respond
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

They always tend to wear on the outside more. Don't think I've seen a clutch disk that wasn't thinner on the outside than inside. Like the pressure plate cups a little after it is heat cycled even just a little bit. I would probably run that as it, but it might be advisable to run a few more break in miles on it just to be sure.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
O.P. Steve sent you an e-mail, please respond
Responded. Going to look at it again tomorrow possibly. Anything to take into consideration in case I don't find any warpage? I had the disk on the flywheel last time I was there, pressing down on the pucks and could hear some noise but I think it was just dirt on the flywheel.

Originally Posted by slowride
They always tend to wear on the outside more. Don't think I've seen a clutch disk that wasn't thinner on the outside than inside. Like the pressure plate cups a little after it is heat cycled even just a little bit. I would probably run that as it, but it might be advisable to run a few more break in miles on it just to be sure.
Was planning on driving this about 100-200 easy, street miles before ripping on it. Last thing I want is to have to pull the trans up at school
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cayenne
Responded. Going to look at it again tomorrow possibly. Anything to take into consideration in case I don't find any warpage? I had the disk on the flywheel last time I was there, pressing down on the pucks and could hear some noise but I think it was just dirt on the flywheel.
Not sure what you're saying, but definitely make sure the surface is clean prior to installation...please call us with questions to eliminate any possible confusion. Thanks, Chris
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Not sure what you're saying, but definitely make sure the surface is clean prior to installation...please call us with questions to eliminate any possible confusion. Thanks, Chris
I had put the disk on a flat surface and thought that it may have been tweaked a little because I could hear movement when I touched the pads. Went back and looked at it yesterday and now I'm sure it's straight. Only one pad that moved a little, and only on one face of the disk. I looked closer and saw a few chunks of clutch material missing from the inner edges of the disk though, will post pics in a few hours and email them...when I get back up to school.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cayenne
I had put the disk on a flat surface and thought that it may have been tweaked a little because I could hear movement when I touched the pads. Went back and looked at it yesterday and now I'm sure it's straight. Only one pad that moved a little, and only on one face of the disk. I looked closer and saw a few chunks of clutch material missing from the inner edges of the disk though, will post pics in a few hours and email them...when I get back up to school.
Please call Steve, he would like to talk to you. Thanks, Chris
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

More pictures...noticed there's some clutch material missing on the pucks, chunks missing. Small, but still.

I think this one has a crack in it.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Just by looking at it I dont know if I would run it, I would buy a new one unless you are getting it dirt cheap and if you are you should sell it to me
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1C5Vette
Just by looking at it I dont know if I would run it, I would buy a new one unless you are getting it dirt cheap and if you are you should sell it to me
lol. Buying it for $300ish

Quick Reply: Does this disk look worn to you? (Monster 3)