Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution

Hello,

Had a 2000 trans am and it got deemed a total loss from hail. I was going to keep it but then found another 2000 trans am, stick shift, sub 50k miles, and procharged. I think I was so blinded by power that I just dove in and the seller also seemed like a real stand up guy. Once I got it home I started noticing little things when next to the hail damaged one. Starters was the bumper was different but okay whatever, there was some bumper sag and the hood wasn't sitting right. Still okay because I want the ws6 hood so not a huge flag, assumed it came off for the semi horrible paint job. Well today I saw when trying to adjust the bumper it was being held to the body with some flat aluminum bar and where the head light attaches to the inner structure there is blocks off aluminum to shim them up. Well I don't know the part but also some stuff is bent. There is also a decent gap from the windshield and t top. I'm going to attach pictures but can someone tell me how screwed up this is or hopefully isn't.

One on the right is the hail damage one. Insurance has since taken it

I can fit my pinky in here

Left is the new and right is the previous
Old 07-14-2024, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The new car you bought does not have a Trans Am front bumper at all. That is a Formula/Firebird front bumper. If the car is in fact a Trans Am (would have the "Y82" RPO on the SPID) then the front bumper was swapped with the wrong part. I can see that the car has correct Trans Am ground effects and Trans Am spoiler, so I suspect that you will find the Y82 RPO.

Looks like the car was in some sort of accident to me.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The new car you bought does not have a Trans Am front bumper at all. That is a Formula/Firebird front bumper. If the car is in fact a Trans Am (would have the "Y82" RPO on the SPID) then the front bumper was swapped with the wrong part. I can see that the car has correct Trans Am ground effects and Trans Am spoiler, so I suspect that you will find the Y82 RPO.

Looks like the car was in some sort of accident to me.
I will look for that code and see. Also noticed the driver fender has been replaced and it doesn't have the trim strip so I'm thinking just the cheapest parts were bought to fix the appearance and a real half assed paint job thrown over that. It feels like a smooth car but guess I can't help but feel like some of the excitement of the car has left.
NC01TA (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree it looks like it was in some sort of accident. Picture 6 looks like they moved that bracket and attempt to get it straight.
NC01TA (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Sorry man, less than honest sellers, what a surprise
Thanks for the photos. I hope you didn't pay too much.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sorry man, less than honest sellers, what a surprise
Thanks for the photos. I hope you didn't pay too much.
Which is horrible to me because I feel like I am over honest to a fault and especially when it comes to cars. They are a life line and a passion. I probably did pay to much now that I see this.

Is there really anyway to straighten it out or at least be able to get the fender, hood, etc lined back up? Any advise or experiences is welcome
Old 07-15-2024, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mbs1994
Which is horrible to me because I feel like I am over honest to a fault and especially when it comes to cars. They are a life line and a passion. I probably did pay to much now that I see this.

Is there really anyway to straighten it out or at least be able to get the fender, hood, etc lined back up? Any advise or experiences is welcome
It is really hard. Usually the ones that are overly friendly like that are trying to keep you talking and not paying attention to the car with hopes you will miss something. Im sorry about this...
Old 07-15-2024, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
It is really hard. Usually the ones that are overly friendly like that are trying to keep you talking and not paying attention to the car with hopes you will miss something. Im sorry about this...
thank you i appreciate it. I might tear down the front end soon and try to see what's what or just get it checked by the pros
Old 07-15-2024, 09:16 AM
Launching!

thank you i appreciate it. I might tear down the front end soon and try to see what's what or just get it checked by the pros
It might be worth a shot. Is everything else straight with the core support? I know you said the cowl vent area isn't lining up.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

It might be worth a shot. Is everything else straight with the core support? I know you said the cowl vent area isn't lining up.
I can get more pictures later but the driver side is lower and got some bend to it, the lights are about 1/4 shimmed up. There is a couple self tappers holding the fender. I'm upset with myself and should have probably kept my other but was blinded by stick shift and power
Old 07-15-2024, 09:57 AM
Launching!

I can get more pictures later but the driver side is lower and got some bend to it, the lights are about 1/4 shimmed up. There is a couple self tappers holding the fender. I'm upset with myself and should have probably kept my other but was blinded by stick shift and power
If that car runs good, you could always been on the lookout for a roller. I have a Camaro, but I can take any pictures of mine that you might need.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

If that car runs good, you could always been on the lookout for a roller. I have a Camaro, but I can take any pictures of mine that you might need.
I had seen that as a option but what sucks is i just got the loan wednesday so i couldnt swap all my parts to the roller id have to cut one up and get it welded into mine. I would so greatly appreciate that. If you could gwt pictures of where the windshield/firewall meets the fenders too I would be very thankful
Old 07-15-2024, 10:16 AM
Launching!

I had seen that as a option but what sucks is i just got the loan wednesday so i couldnt swap all my parts to the roller id have to cut one up and get it welded into mine. I would so greatly appreciate that. If you could gwt pictures of where the windshield/firewall meets the fenders too I would be very thankful
I am about to post some pictures. Let me know if you need something else.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Old 07-15-2024, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thank you I appreciate it. How much if any is the front removable from radiator to nose? Is it bolts or welds?
Old 07-15-2024, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Thank you I appreciate it. How much if any is the front removable from radiator to nose? Is it bolts or welds?
This is the top side.

Old 07-15-2024, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

This is the top side.

I love the sticker! Me and my wife quote that movie all the time so i was very disappointed when she didnt understand my team ramrod shirt.

Anyway back on subject, do you know if the front is welded in? Theres a lot im not sure on with the structure. I know they are uni body but unsure how the fromt connects. Almost wondering if it's worth it to buy my old one back at auction and gut it
Old 07-15-2024, 10:54 AM
Launching!

From what I can see The front core support looks to be welded in. Then everything else in front of it is bolted in. Its a little hard to tell. Give me one second to google search.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:00 AM
Launching!

That whole front core support where the air box and radiator attach is welded in. There might be some bolts underneath, but I doubt it. Here is one of the welds here.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Im picturing id have to cut away about the same

Quick Reply: Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution