computer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default computer help

I think i have some kind of spamware or some type of virus due downloading movies. Does anyone know of a good program?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my usual regimen is to run superanti-spyware, them malwarebytes, then spybot search and destroy. They are all free from www.download.com. A lot of new bugs are disabling anti-spyware software so you might have to google "Process explorer" from sysinternals. You will need to save the program executable but make sure you name it "iexplore.exe". That way the spyware will allow it to run, thinking it is just opening the internet. From that program you can kill whatever processes you need to; most spyware will be near the bottom of the list and will be named random characters. I hope this makes sense and helps!

Last edited by slow96z; 01-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Combofix
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know why I didn't have that on the list too, I'm running it on a system right now! Get combofix from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...virus/combofix.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly is it doing? What OS are you running?
Combofix works good most of the time.
But sometimes you have to get rid of them manually...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

im running windows 7 64 bit
Generally its just running slower than it should and some programs lock up at times. Nothing thats too out of the ordinary. I have malwarebites and windows defender which neither detects anything wrong.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Press the windows key + "R"
type in msconfig
go to the startup tab
click on disable all
click ok
restart

See if that helps any... (this will disable any program non essential to the OS from executing on startup)

Should clear any malware from executing again. Then make sure you have all the latest windows updates. Restart again.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

^^^ ill do this once i get home from work around ~10ish
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is the system? single, dual, or quad core? How much memory?

On some older single cores with 2 gigs of mem, Windows 7 will work but will limp when to much is going on.

Also, is it an OS problem, and what applications are you running that are giving you issues?

There are also gadgets you can add that display real time memory and cpu usage if you don't feel like pulling up your task manager.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redz_02
How old is the system? single, dual, or quad core? How much memory?

On some older single cores with 2 gigs of mem, Windows 7 will work but will limp when to much is going on.

Also, is it an OS problem, and what applications are you running that are giving you issues?

There are also gadgets you can add that display real time memory and cpu usage if you don't feel like pulling up your task manager.
its a dell inspiron that i bought last summer (Intel quad core 300 gigs of hd memory and another gig of ram)
i do have a gadget that displays the cores and how much each one is running and i have another that displays how hard the ram is working
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camAro242
its a dell inspiron that i bought last summer (Intel quad core 300 gigs of hd memory and another gig of ram)
i do have a gadget that displays the cores and how much each one is running and i have another that displays how hard the ram is working
You need at least 2 Gbs of ram. 1 Gb is not enough... Depending on what you do, and if you use memory intensive programs (like auto cad, adobe premiere, etc...) then you might as well upgrade to 4GBs of DDr3 RAM.

I run 8GBs of DDr2 on mine... 780i ftw mobo, dual geForce gtx's, i7, water cooled... etc... But I built mine during my college days to run programs like 3DS Max, which use a lot of memory.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
You need at least 2 Gbs of ram. 1 Gb is not enough... Depending on what you do, and if you use memory intensive programs (like auto cad, adobe premiere, etc...) then you might as well upgrade to 4GBs of DDr3 RAM.

I run 8GBs of DDr2 on mine... 780i ftw mobo, dual geForce gtx's, i7, water cooled... etc... But I built mine during my college days to run programs like 3DS Max, which use a lot of memory.
this is just my work laptop that i bring to class and such

I have my desktop that has
1t hd
GigaByte GA-770T-USB3 AMD 770 Chipset Support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 4 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI (soon to be a asus mb)
dual core(soon to be 6 core)
4 gigs of ram (2 gigs on each slot)
Radeo HD 5770 Graphic card
Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

EDIT: the case has 3 120mm fans and the processor is liquid cooled, the desktop has windows 7 64 bit
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Teching In

pics of said system?

also ccleaner(can disable the start up programs from there, clean the registry files and other good stuff), Microsoft security essentials is great.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2_fast
pics of said system?

also ccleaner(can disable the start up programs from there, clean the registry files and other good stuff), Microsoft security essentials is great.
ill get some later tomorrow ill take a pic of the internals. I believe ill be needing a new hard drive for the desktop due to constant bsod
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is just my work laptop that i bring to class and such

I have my desktop that has
1t hd
GigaByte GA-770T-USB3 AMD 770 Chipset Support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 4 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI (soon to be a asus mb)
dual core(soon to be 6 core)
4 gigs of ram (2 gigs on each slot)
Radeo HD 5770 Graphic card
Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

EDIT: the case has 3 120mm fans and the processor is liquid cooled, the desktop has windows 7 64 bit
Nice build, I finaly did a refresh last year.

Before going to a 6 core I would look into a 5870 or a new 6950. Then again I play a good share of pc games.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

i just bought that radeon just a few weeks ago, my processor and mb both suck. My computer crashes all the time for various different reasons. Its either the game crashes or the whole system crashes whenever i play wow,flight sim, Starcraft 2
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2_fast
.....Microsoft security essentials is great.
Agree with that 100%. Currently running it on my PC (Vista Ultimate 64bit)

i just bought that radeon just a few weeks ago, my processor and mb both suck. My computer crashes all the time for various different reasons. Its either the game crashes or the whole system crashes whenever i play wow,flight sim, Starcraft 2
This may not be a mobo issue. I would be looking at the system event logs if I were you. Could be something as easy as a bad graphics card driver.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DSIM
This may not be a mobo issue. I would be looking at the system event logs if I were you. Could be something as easy as a bad graphics card driver.
iv checked and rechecked the graphic card drivers all appear to be fine. I have all of my bsod saved on the computer. the last one i got i believe was bad_pool_header. When this happens windows reverts to the last known settings and it loses all my passwords iv set on websites and such. Which makes me believe my hd is failing at some point or i could be a slot in the ram thats fubard. The ram itself works iv tested them
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Firmware update could help, and it's fairly easy with gigabyte. AMD had a few issues with the 770 chipsets which should have been fixed with newer firmware. That was the first run of the AM3 socket boards.

My rig has a Gigabyte mobo (GA-MA790FXT-UD5P) with a 955 X4 Phenom II. Also went the DDR3 route, and have not had a lockup yet and it's been roughly a year. Also have 2 crossfired 5850's, which was a tight fit. If it helps I play wow quite often, even more so since Cata. came out.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redz_02
Firmware update could help, and it's fairly easy with gigabyte. AMD had a few issues with the 770 chipsets which should have been fixed with newer firmware. That was the first run of the AM3 socket boards.

My rig has a Gigabyte mobo (GA-MA790FXT-UD5P) with a 955 X4 Phenom II. Also went the DDR3 route, and have not had a lockup yet and it's been roughly a year. Also have 2 crossfired 5850's, which was a tight fit. If it helps I play wow quite often, even more so since Cata. came out.
ill def check out the firmware i didnt think about that. What server are you on and what class/race are you?