Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

LS6 Heads???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS6 Heads???

are LS6 heads a good investment? and will they make good power with the correct springs and valves

http://speed-eng.com/store/ls6-cylin...um-p-9466.html

but i was thinking of a StreetSweeper cam or torquer v.2
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR a set of 243's.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Church
OR a set of 243's.
ls6 heads and 243 heads are the same thing. Milled, port and polished you should pick up some good #'s.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redctsv
ls6 heads and 243 heads are the same thing. Milled, port and polished you should pick up some good #'s.
yup. But with 243's, you don't pay the "LS6" premium.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

im also interested in swapping to ls6 heads. anyone have #'s or info?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Give Matt a call over at Texas Speed. He gave me excellent advice on future plans for heads on my GTO. I've got the Torquer V. 2 on a 112, stock heads...and it really woke the car up. PRC's is what I'm going with or maybe Trickflow 220's.
Texas Speed knows their stuff.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS6 heads have the better valves....so they're not entirely the same thing. If you're going the route you're speaking of though most shops build 243s to their specs with their own valves and everything so just get the cheapest core you can.

On an LS1 the 243's bump the CR up a little bit and definitely help out with airflow.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
LS6 heads have the better valves....so they're not entirely the same thing. If you're going the route you're speaking of though most shops build 243s to their specs with their own valves and everything so just get the cheapest core you can.

On an LS1 the 243's bump the CR up a little bit and definitely help out with airflow.
They are better valve, just don't spray a lot on them. They won't take a lot of heat, at least from what my last two motors have shown. Last set of 243's that had an exhaust valve drop showed 0.010" stretch at least on every single exhaust valve that was left. This is with 175-250 shots.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it would make sense not to spray on a sodium filled hollow valve.....its meant to be light and sustain high rpms not a heavy shot of nitrous. If you're using that shot of nitrous why did you go through two motors with stock LS6 heads? lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 AM
10 Second Club

Well, it would make sense not to spray on a sodium filled hollow valve.....its meant to be light and sustain high rpms not a heavy shot of nitrous. If you're using that shot of nitrous why did you go through two motors with stock LS6 heads? lol.
No reason not to use the heads, just should have replaced the valves prior. The motor was built for quite a bit more than I was spraying. The 243's I have flow a lot better than most 243 numbers I have seen and were considerably less than alternative heads. Remember, I am talking about the sodium filled exhaust valves, not the hollow intake valves.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I meant to have it read "not to spray on a sodium filled/hollow valve" why wouldn't you upgrade to stainless steel valves.

And after doing it once, why didn't you change the point of failure the 2nd time around? You said you've had two motors.

Also your first post made it seem like you had stock LS6 243's.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

I meant to have it read "not to spray on a sodium filled/hollow valve" why wouldn't you upgrade to stainless steel valves.

And after doing it once, why didn't you change the point of failure the 2nd time around? You said you've had two motors.

Also your first post made it seem like you had stock LS6 243's.
Same motor, same heads, two seperate valves failures. First valve just chipped and didn't think too much into the heat of everything. Once the second one failed, different cyl but exhaust valve again, we started looking into it a bit more. We just had too much heat and cylinder pressure for the valves to stay happy.

Not to press the point, but I don't get how you got stock 243's from anything I have posted? No biggie, just want those going for LS6 heads to be aware of the effects of spraying on sodium exhaust valves.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Because the first post you mentioned just said you used LS6 heads. Generally....when people spend the money for the LS6 heads they just throw them on. If you buy the 243's you'll spend some extra money in a nice valve job and porting because you saved it on the initial purchase. Like I said, Generally.

Not to press the point, but a lot of people spraying that big a shot go ahead and invest in stainless valves for the durability aspect from the get go.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefTA
Give Matt a call over at Texas Speed. He gave me excellent advice on future plans for heads on my GTO. I've got the Torquer V. 2 on a 112, stock heads...and it really woke the car up. PRC's is what I'm going with or maybe Trickflow 220's.
Texas Speed knows their stuff.
Thanks for the referral!

OP: You can definitely put the 243''s (or 799's) AKA: LS6/LS2 heads on there in stock form. You get a slight bump in compression out of it and a nice little bump in performance too. Expect about 10-15rwhp from that swap.

OR, you could go with a set of our PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 heads and pick up even more power! These are CNC ported, have larger 2.02"/1.57" stainless valves in them, and a spring kit of your choice. They'll typically gain about another 20-25rwhp over a stock LS6 head, or about 35-40rwhp gains from your stock heads!

Of course we've got packages that include the camshaft with the cylinder heads and everything else you'll need to complete the job.

Give us a call and we can set you up with a package that will meet your goals and budget!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: LS6 Heads???