Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifts to a higher gear when going half throttle between 35-50mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifts to a higher gear when going half throttle between 35-50mph

When cruising between about 35-50mph if i give it about half throttle the rpms go up and the transmission seems to shift into a higher gear and it bogs down.

I don't know if it's related but it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd too unless you're taking it real easy on the throttle.

Other than that, the transmission shifts great.

I just purchased the car, the owner before me said she had the transmission rebuilt within the last year. It's completely stock except for an SLP lid.

One more thing, I know this might be a stupid question but.. from a dead stop it shifts 4 times, wouldn't that make it a 5-speed?

Last edited by elwood2; 01-16-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like it could use some transmission tuning. If you can feel four shifts you're feeling the converter lock up. Thats not usually felt unless maybe they put a shift kit in it. Sounds typical with the hard 1-2, it's real easy to get 1-2 to shift hard. Maybe next time the pan is off check the 1-2 accumulator and rearrange the springs.

Next time you drive it you can set your foot on the brake pedal, this will keep the torque converter from locking up, see if it still does the same thing or works better.

Assuming the check engine light is not on and the TPS is good, it sounds like it needs to be tuned.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Sounds like it could use some transmission tuning. If you can feel four shifts you're feeling the converter lock up. Thats not usually felt unless maybe they put a shift kit in it. Sounds typical with the hard 1-2, it's real easy to get 1-2 to shift hard. Maybe next time the pan is off check the 1-2 accumulator and rearrange the springs.

Next time you drive it you can set your foot on the brake pedal, this will keep the torque converter from locking up, see if it still does the same thing or works better.

Assuming the check engine light is not on and the TPS is good, it sounds like it needs to be tuned.
The Check engine light isn't on. It did come on for running lean on bank 1 and 2 but i cleaned the dirty MAF and reset and it hasn't popped back up since.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My A4 will go into 4th about 40mph. Then goes into lockup about 47mph. Sounds normal to me. If you don't want all that shifting in City driving, put it in "D".