Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cable

Is the 36 inch cable the right length or should I ge the 48 inch for doing the ls1 swap in my Cj7? also anybody have the link to the Dakota digital speedo pickup? I saw it once but can't find it on their web site. need to get this stuff coming soon getting ready to start the swap, Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what the correct length would be, but I found that the correct length for LS1/67-69 Camaro was somewhere in between. Being that there wasn't an 'in between' cable, I cut my 48" cable.
1)The plastic sheath can be dremel cut (very carefully of course!) just before the grommet at the firewall (engine bay side). When you decide how long the cable really needs to be, cut the plastic, being sure to leave about a 3/8" plastic coming from the grommet in the engine bay. Then, you buy a 3/4" metal sleeve, just large enough to fit over the plastic throttle sleeve. Slide both ends of the cut plastic throttle sleeve into the metal sleeve. I used just a bit of rubber gasket seal between the plastic sleeve (carefully) inside the metal sleeve to keep it all together.
2)You can shorten the metal/cable by cutting at the gas pedal to the correct length, leaving enough cable so that there is the proper travel. After you initially cut the metal cable (I used a dremel for this, too...makes a CLEAN cut), work the ferrule off of the discarded piece. I redrilled the ferrule so that it could be slid back on to the 'new' end of the cable. Then, tighten/squeeze the ferrule with pliers.
Before you cut the cable, you might plan on leaving enough cable beyond the ferrule so that a knot can be tied after it to hold it on.
Just an alternative for you.

Last edited by gMAG; 01-19-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle cable