Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start.

Got a '01 camaro ss. about 70,000 miles on it.
It's been runnin good i keep up on all maintenance and never had a any huge problems.
The car has been sitting for about two weeks or a little more.
I go home anticipating to drive the car and i go to turn it over and it wont start..
I swapped relays no luck. I had to get into town so i had no other time to really look into it but this weekend coming up i will be able to check for fuel pressure and look at the fuses a little more thoroughly and check some of the intake sensors and spark plugs.
The fuel filter was changed about 15,000 miles ago so i dont think thats the problem. But any help would be much appreciated as to where i should start looking.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Just a little more info..
I got it to start for a little bit when i first got back but it wouldnt hold idle.
Now it wont even turn over.
The batteries good and the starter's working.
Still need to check for spark and fuel. if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It wont turn over at all,,,or it wont attenpt to start? if it will turn over, spray some starting fluid in the intake,,be sure to open the throttle blade,,then if the car starts or makes you think it will, you have a fuel problem, do a pressure check (autozone loans a pressure checking kit). if it wont turn over at all, you may have a battery problem, if you suspect that, try to jumpstart the car, if that works, prolly a bad battery. if you still cant get it to turn over, it may be the starter, with a hot wire touch the small terminal on the starter, if it kicks in, check all your connections. If the starter kicks in and dont turn the engine, you could have a bad starter,,(autozone can test it). if the starter tests good, then take a socket and ratchet and turn the engine over by hand, using the crank balancer bolt, if you can not turn it at all, pull the plugs out, if you still cant turn it over thats bad news, engine may be locked up.. However I highly doubt it, start with the jumper cables and some starting fluid, hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

The car does turn over. The starter is good.
Im really thinking its fuel related. and i know the battery is good also. it was the first thing i checked. I still havnt got the time to check it out but im gonna be able to this upcoming weekend. Like i said it turned over and i was able to keep it runnin for about 30 seconds or so but it wouldnt hold the idle. it revved up to 3500 when i had my foot buried in the throttle and after it died i couldnt get it to fire up again.
as soon as i can check the fuel pressure i'll see if its a fuel related issue but until then i wont have much direction of diagnosis. but i appreciate the feedback. hopefully i can get this situation resolved soon and get this beast back on the road.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Launching!

Hi,
gas/fire/compression =vehicle starting. The aforementioned articles offered good ideas for you. You can borrow tools to check fuel/spark/etc. Find list attached. Have a blessed day ..........jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oreilley Tools.pdf (23.5 KB, 368 views)
File Type: pdf
AUTOZONE LOANER TOOLS.pdf (25.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure all sensors are plugged in good, i.e. crank sensor behind the starter..but it woudnt have started at alll if that wasnt plugged in. check fuel pressure for sure
Old 01-23-2011, 03:12 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If the car isn't turning over it isn't fuel related, that's starter-system related. Before the fuel system can do its job the starting system has to do its job by turning the motor over.

Originally Posted by rfuller07
Just a little more info..
I got it to start for a little bit when i first got back but it wouldnt hold idle.
Now it wont even turn over.
The batteries good and the starter's working.
Still need to check for spark and fuel. if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know!
If the starter's working then the motor IS turning over, it's just not starting. In that case I'd bet it's a fuel problem. My '97Z and '98 Mustang acted just like your car did when their pumps got weak and then finally died...

Last edited by myk; 01-23-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When my fuel pump shot craps the car would turn over just fine all day but would not start at all, not even for a second. So you can probably cross that off the list.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

ok my bad. the car does turn over. it just wont fire up.
i appreciate all the feedback.
so i'll be sure to check the fuel at the rail.
it might just be time for a new pump.
I'll let all you guys know exactly what i find out and what other problems i may run into.
thanks again.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

be careful revving the thing. its bad for it cold obviously but even worse would be if it was a weak fuel pump and with low pressure you lean it out and hurt something
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

yeah thats a good point. after it kind if revved up for a little bit which wasn't long maybe a second or two it just died. and another things i was thinking was maybe it had to do with the VAT cause my security light has been on forever but i don't think it would even crank if it didn't see the right resistance. that light bugged me forever but now i just grew accustomed to seeing it constantly so it didn't cross my mind till now