Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ws6 engine won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 engine won't turn over

i have a 2000 ws6, enginge won't turn over , been thru this before. changed starter, clutch switch, & has new battery. took heat shield off starter because it look like it vibrated & shorted out across starter terminals. ran fine for awhile, got it home & now won't start again. someone told me there is a security issue with the chip in the key. anyone else had this problem:?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

That chip could be worn out.

I believe you can have the security system tuned out but I may be wrong
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

in the ignition or key. i have two keys, the car only has 20k miles on it, the spare key has barely been used
Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnny walker
in the ignition or key. i have two keys, the car only has 20k miles on it, the spare key has barely been used
No idea, when it's something like this where it's a recurring issue I usually bite the bullet send it to my trusted shop and they figure it out with all the tools and experience they have.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnny walker
i have a 2000 ws6, enginge won't turn over , been thru this before. changed starter, clutch switch, & has new battery. took heat shield off starter because it look like it vibrated & shorted out across starter terminals. ran fine for awhile, got it home & now won't start again. someone told me there is a security issue with the chip in the key. anyone else had this problem:?
I had this problem not long ago and thought it was my security system. It turned out to be a faulty "start relay" in the under hood fuse box. My tech buddy switched the "electric fan relay" as it has the same contacts, problem solved! You can then buy the relay at GM for $30 if that fixes the problem. There also could be an issue with the "body control module" not communicating with the PCM and you would need a Tech 2 scanner and a GM tech to look at the system. Hope this helps, Les>>>

Quick Reply: ws6 engine won't turn over