Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has used the yank crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who has used the yank crossmember?

anybody used the yank crossmember for the 4l60e and t-56 that takes the tq arm mount off the tranny housing?

im probably gonna buy this soon and im looking for some feedback, experiences, etc...

looks like a good piece, but $300...

guess you got to pay to play
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The money is well spent. Not to have to worry about the tailshaft breaking.

I like mine.

It does transfer a little more vibration into the interior with a poly tranny mount. But it's nothing I can't live with.. and I'm a bit picky about noise/vibration.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You guys gotta be kidding. I mean maybe you just don't know, but that price is outrageous. You could get a really stout complete torque arm with it's own cross bar for the arm for $330. Then there is the crossmember Yank makes for the th350. It's around the same price. Mine cost me $10 to make.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

make us one then i'll give ya $20 if its stury. Yank sucks they never answered my questioned when i wanted to buy one. they can kiss deez nutz for customer service.

shouldn't have to beg to buy
Old 02-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

If you were local I'd tell you to just swing by. All you have to do is weld a plate to extend the mount point on the crossmember forward about 4 inches. I used 1/4" steel and boxed it in. For alot less than $300 I'm am sure any chassis shop would take care of that for you.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by samz28
make us one then i'll give ya $20 if its stury. Yank sucks they never answered my questioned when i wanted to buy one. they can kiss deez nutz for customer service.

shouldn't have to beg to buy

LMAO! Typical outstanding customer service.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
You guys gotta be kidding. I mean maybe you just don't know, but that price is outrageous. You could get a really stout complete torque arm with it's own cross bar for the arm for $330. Then there is the crossmember Yank makes for the th350. It's around the same price. Mine cost me $10 to make.
i was thinking of trying to make something like this...but...yah...

i have duals...so something like the bmr trak pak wont work for me...
Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I will be in the market for something like this too very soon.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Umm.. were not talking about just a tranny crossmember. Any idiot could make something to hold the tranny in. The Yank has a front TA mount built in. Those measurements I would not trust to just any yahoo.. a Chassis shop.. sure, if you can find one, explain to them what you want, have them fab it, hope it works.. for less $$$. Sure, go for it.

The shorter TA's tranfer alot of drivetrain noise into the interior, no thanks, not practical in my street driven car.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

I have the tranny crossmember, I like it alot, I had to cut part of it though to make it fit with my torque arm, the snout of the torque arm itself could not be fully inserted cause it hit the crossmember in a place.

Mike recommended that I should have cut the snout off the torque arm rather than cut the crossmember cause it reduces strength. I haven't had any problems so far but If I do I guess I'll just have to buy another one. My mechanic didn't think I would have any problems, it's a pretty stout piece and still very sturdy with the piece cutout.

The DS loop did not even come close to fitting but mike sent me out some spacers that I haven't installed yet to fix it. Mike also said if I used factory tranny mount I wouldn't have had any problems. I have an ES trans mount.

Just make sure Mike doesn't overcharge you by accident like he did me. He has been having hell with his credit card company getting my $100 refunded. It's been over a month now and I've been checking in with him every couple of weeks

other than that

http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crossmember.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crossmember1.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crosscut2.JPG

Last edited by CamaroSS_2002; 02-12-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
I have the tranny crossmember, I like it alot, I had to cut part of it though to make it fit with my torque arm, the snout of the torque arm itself could not be fully inserted cause it hit the crossmember in a place.

Mike recommended that I should have cut the snout off the torque arm rather than cut the crossmember cause it reduces strength. I haven't had any problems so far but If I do I guess I'll just have to buy another one. My mechanic didn't think I would have any problems, it's a pretty stout piece and still very sturdy with the piece cutout.

The DS loop did not even come close to fitting but mike sent me out some spacers that I haven't installed yet to fix it. Mike also said if I used factory tranny mount I wouldn't have had any problems. I have an ES trans mount.

Just make sure Mike doesn't overcharge you by accident like he did me. He has been having hell with his credit card company getting my $100 refunded. It's been over a month now and I've been checking in with him every couple of weeks

other than that

http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crossmember.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crossmember1.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/eyedolx/crosscut2.JPG
You are a very easy customer to please then...lol.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Can't complain too much when there is no other choices
Old 02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Can't complain too much when there is no other choices
i just checked out the pics and...

1. do you have 555r's on the front of your car?
2. the holes on the tailshaft...where the mount for the stock tq arm go...they aren't used with the yank crossmember?
3. it just doesnt look or hookup like i thought it would...
Old 02-13-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

$300 for just the crossmember?!? I'm sure its a nice peice and serves its purpose but damn thats expensive. Joe has a good point. If you're going to spend $300 for a crossmember just so you can have your torque arm not bolt up to the tailshaft housing, why not spend $10-$20 more and buy a torque arm thats adjustable which doesn't even mount to the tailshaft housing or crossmember?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jt093
$300 for just the crossmember?!? I'm sure its a nice peice and serves its purpose but damn thats expensive. Joe has a good point. If you're going to spend $300 for a crossmember just so you can have your torque arm not bolt up to the tailshaft housing, why not spend $10-$20 more and buy a torque arm thats adjustable which doesn't even mount to the tailshaft housing or crossmember?
well a good tq arm that doesnt mount on the tranny runs a good 450+

the bmr trak pak is cheaper, but added cost of welding it on your subframes (and im my case it wont work with duals rules that out)

the ones like the alston mount in the tunnel, which can be a bitch to install, and its pricey too

300 plus the 170 i spent on my edelbrock tq arm make it a good combination...

also this crossmember adds adjustability...

i still think it could be cheaper...though

i think 175 is a fair price for it...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

How do you like that tq arm? I have the same one which I got for free. The only which I dont like is thats it's non-adjustable. Here in the next few months I am going to ditch it and get the trak pak, or the extreme heavy duty.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jt093
How do you like that tq arm? I have the same one which I got for free. The only which I dont like is thats it's non-adjustable. Here in the next few months I am going to ditch it and get the trak pak, or the extreme heavy duty.
its strong....thats about it...no adjustability

300+170 for the yank x member and this edelbrock isnt bad...it will be strong as hell and adjustable in a combo...

if the yank x member was 175-200...it wouldnt touch a trak pak or any other tq arm...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the one on your car camaroSS doesnt look exactly like the one on yank's site...

the area where the tq arm mount has holes that rise higher so you can move the tq arm...it seems like there arent any holes up that high on yours?

Old 02-13-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
i just checked out the pics and...

2. the holes on the tailshaft...where the mount for the stock tq arm go...they aren't used with the yank crossmember?
Nope.. if you think about it. That would solid mount the tranny to the cross member Might be have awesome strength.. but man it would be noisy
Old 02-13-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
the one on your car camaroSS doesnt look exactly like the one on yank's site...

the area where the tq arm mount has holes that rise higher so you can move the tq arm...it seems like there arent any holes up that high on yours?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing