Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Brake lights dont work

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights dont work

I just found out that my brake lights dont work but the strange thing is that they light up when I turn on the head lights for night driving but they dont light up when I hit the brake pedal except for the brake lights on the spoiler, they work fine (are they on a different system then the main ones?). I checked all the fuses and they look ok, im going to look into it more today. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw its a 1994 z28
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The brake lights and the running lights are on two separate circuits. Each of the bulbs has two filaments - a dim one for running lights and a bright one for brake lights and (in your model year) turn signals. Do you turn signals work? If so then the problem is not with the bulbs or most of the wiring. It could be the brake wiring right near the switch or it could be the turn signal switch. (The turn signal switch has to pass brake light power to the brake lights except for the 3rd brake light.)