Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone know where to buy an automatic start alarm system for fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where to buy an automatic start alarm system for fbody?

Both of my keypads are broken and instead of just buying a new one I have decided that I want to get one that has the automatic start option. I've known a couple people in the past that have had it on their 6-speed fbody's even though some say it can't be done. I went by Ron Carter today after class and they quoted me over $500 for one installed.- I know that's a typical dealership price and have heard you can get them for half that. Anyone know where to find a cheaper alarm system? If so, please either pm me or post the phone # or website here.

Thanks in advance,
Kody-
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

There are remote start systems available for manual transmission vehicles but they tend to be more expensive. A less expensive remote start can be used but you will have difficulty finding a shop to install it. They are concerned about liability in case you operate the remote with the car in gear and it moves and hits something. The trick is to make sure you have a properly adjusted (nice and tight) parking brake and that you use it every time you park. The starter motor isn't strong enough to overcome both the weight of the car and the parking brake so it won't move if you forget to leave the car in neutral (and you will - I've done it several times).

DEI is the biggest name in alarms and remote start systems. They make models in several product lines (Viper, Clifford, Hornet) with different options and price points. You can research which model has the features you want at their website and then Google the model number to find vendors and prices.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I used to install Galaxy remote starts for a living years back and have had one on every car I have owned since and they have always worked good. Very reasonably priced as well. I usually spring for the 5000RS unit and they do have a designated manual model (and its the same price), although its almost identical. Remote choices will dictate final price but you can get a unit for less then $100, LCD pager remotes and/or color LCDs obviously drive the price up, but its still reasonable.