Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about PI vigilante 2600 stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about PI vigilante 2600 stall

I can pick at a vig 2600 9 inch lockup converter up for cheap. I know most of you guys are going to say it is way too small, but it is very cheap and would tie me over for the summer I think. This winter I have already installed a 228r and have some cnc ported 243's in the garage that I'm debating getting milled for about 11:1. I haven't gotten it tuned yet but I can get it to idle in the garage on stock heads and definitely need a stall to keep from having to stand on the brakes to keep it from rolling on an idle.

My questions are will this be enough stall to fix the braking problem?

Also, this came out of an 05 GTO, but fitment will be the same for an 98 trans-am right?

Lastly, the car has ls6 intake, headers, ORY, magnaflow catback, lid, underdrive pulley, all the free mods. With the cam and heads I hope to be a little over 400hp and maybe like 390tq as (hopefully) a conservative estimate. A stall rated at 2600 for a GTO will probably actually stall higher on a higher powered car such as mine, right? Or no?

Thanks-Matt
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Will it fit? I dunno for sure but there is a good chance. Will it help you from pushing through the brakes: sure it will. Will it be the bare minimum you can get away with: yeah probably pretty close. Will it stall higher on your car then the GTO? maybe some, but it wouldnt be enough to notice either way.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thanks for the reply. I have definitely gone over my budget for this winter's mods with the cam and heads. I still got a tune left and now a stall....so if it will cover me for a year I'm going to do it. Anybody else?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't settle for just a 2600. You are leaving way to much on the table. Do what you have to(beg, borrow or steal) and send it back to PI to have it restalled. It should cost around $225. The Vigilante converters are usually underated by 3-400 RPMs so you can keep that in mind. I'd probably go with a 3600 Viq considering the size of your cam.

Quick Reply: Q about PI vigilante 2600 stall