Damn I got lucky...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Damn I got lucky...

So wanna hear a story of a real life miracle? On September 17th, 2010 I was on my way home from a 20 hr work shift (I lived in CA on my own at the time, just barely 18. Stupid idea from the beginning ) and it was just after 6 AM. That particular night was also pretty bad because I had received some pretty emotionally crippling news the evening before that kinda made me just stop giving a damn about anything. Well that feeling, mixed with a tired teenager in a red Firebird on an open road and a yellow light made me floor the car. Except after I got past the light I kept flooring it a bit more, I was craving some kind of adrenaline. Before I knew it I was speeding EXTREMELY fast in a 40 zone. As I began braking I saw a cop car parked off the road camping and I knew I was screwed Apparently I was going so fast that I got a ways down the road before he pulled out and put on his lights. He came up to my car and was blown away, saying he almost didn't catch me and in all his years patrolling that main road he's never seen someone go fast. I explained to him my situation and he was a nice guy, told me he could see I was just a tired kid who had an above average shitty day, but at that speed he still had to write a ticket. Turned out it was just over 80 mph... He put it at a 74 to prevent me from being federally fucked and wished me good luck. Right then and there I was just glad he didn't put me in handcuffs and have my car impounded

So from then on I was in and out of court facing the commissioner trying to get something done, and it got to a point that after multiple visits she said if I plead guilty, she would suspend my license and tack on an additional $300 making my ticket $800 + other fees that would surely come up. At this point it was December 27th and I was pleading with her that I needed to get back home to my family in Texas and that for the last two weeks I was living in my car (true story). She said it wasn't her problem (Can't really fault her I guess) I plead not guilty knowing that I would have to bail on my February 3rd court date. The bailiff told me when I was walking out 'You better show up boy...'

Fast forward a week and a half later and I found out she had subpoenaed the cop to come in so there was no chance of it getting thrown out. I also called the traffic court and they told me my only chance was to write a letter explaining why I'm missing my court date. The clerk mentioned that she and the commissioner both remembered me since my case was apparently more rare than I expected and that it was very possible a warrant would be issued for my arrest Along with a suspended license of course.

So I wrote the most heartfelt letter I could explaining my situation to the commissioner and why I was missing court and saying that I know what I did was extremely stupid and that the situation has done nothing but cause me stress (so much stress it likely took a year or two off my life) and I basically begged for forgiveness to be honest. What else did I have to lose?

I waited all day on the third until 12:30 PM Texas time, 10:30 PM CA time when they update the days records. To my shock and dismay, the freakin ticket was DISMISSED! I couldn't freakin believe it! She took pity on me and must have believed me when she said I learned my lesson.

So now I'm just extremely grateful for a clean record, lower insurance once again (200+ a month for liability only on a v6 Firebird FTL...), and no money to pay.

I'm FULLY expecting some people to come in here (possibly law enforcement guys) to come in here and say "I wouldn't have been so nice if I was the cop" or "You deserve to have your license suspended and then some" or "You didn't learn **** from this, I know because I know everything about you and the way you think just by looking at your LS1Tech profile"

If you're gonna say that, just **** off I've heard it enough times, I know I sure as hell learned my lesson and don't plan to speed like that on an open empty main road in the early hours of the AM (or any time for that matter) I need to not let the days emotions affect me when I'm behind the wheel because when I'm behind the wheel it's not all about me, others are at stake. I get it. Save your energy typing.

Just thought I'd share my stroke of good luck after several months of bad luck and the wrong choices (not intentionally wrong choices, just choices I thought were right that turned out to be wrong ie, leaving my family in Texas and trying to make it in the most expensive state in America on my own with two full time jobs and putting myself through college 5 days a week full time )

Any of you guys ever have something like this happen?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER in my life have i ever been so lucky, congrats bud, dont waste your second shot at staying on the right side of the law. Im not, theyve got the hooks sunk deep in me and i regret it every day, so do it right.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Sucks man, but if all turned out well I suppose. Live n learn, sounds like you are on the right path, GL
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

wow. lucky as heck bro. like said above...dont press your luck next time nice lil story
Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys lol. I feel like I was subjected to 5 months of the scared straight program but for driving. I was blown away that I got off, considering my luck alone I would have fully expected to get nailed, but then added with the commissioners obvious distaste for a teenage boy in a red sports car speeding that fast, HA. That was a once in a lifetime get out of jail free card, sooo glad I have the clean record, it keeps job possibilities open

Would love to have the license at LEAST another year before I get it suspended lol
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
That was a once in a lifetime get out of jail free card
you really have no idea, I had mine suspended for a year for a wicked speeding ticket on my bike, its awful.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

when i first started reading it I thought you were the guy in the video below, hopefully you truely have learned from that, I would have been screwed every possible way in that case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu1qseXaPeA
Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

im an LEO and i would have asked you why you were only doing 80 with an open stretch like that haha i know i woulda been going way faster. i highly doubt he had trouble catching you, or had never seen anyone going that fast either. must be a really small town! glad everything worked out for you!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

You didn't learn **** from this, I know because I know everything about you and the way you think just by looking at your LS1Tech profile
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

lol @ jake the snake!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Launching!

it would have be stupid if they kept the charge anyways just dont go back to cali they cant do ****.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by enforcer
im an LEO and i would have asked you why you were only doing 80 with an open stretch like that haha i know i woulda been going way faster. i highly doubt he had trouble catching you, or had never seen anyone going that fast either. must be a really small town! glad everything worked out for you!
Lol??? Haha I might have been going faster if it wasnt in the v6 and I hadn't remembered I was on one of the biggest main roads in San Jose (10th biggest city in the US) usually it's a busy road so one wouldn't have the opportunity to go quite that fast but at that time in the morning no one was on it. I actually feasibly might have been able to escape because I got far enough down the road and it was long enough that I started to wonder if he even saw me or was gonna come. Passed severals streets I could turned off on to in that time. I wouldn't dream of trying to outrun a cop in a big city, no effing way. Especially with a v6 lol.

I'd respond to more of you guys but typing on my iPhone sucks lol
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea you could have avoided everything if you had a v8...lol.jk. But wow that was some good luck
Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Default High mph ticket

I was going through the gears one night in between 2351 & Dixie farm on Beamer. Close to being topped out I shut her down. Never saw a single car. Pulled up to the red light turning left on Dixie Farm, checked rear view and still no cars. Light turned green and I happened to look back... All I saw was a cop top mount light rack. The sob rolled all the way down Beamer with his head lights off. SHIIIIIT was the only thing I had time to say before he lit me up. I was 19 at the time and had a cooler full of beer and a bottle of vodka. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and I told him I really wasn't sure. He said his radar showed 150 and started blinking after. After giving me a hard time, handcuffing me and what not. He took my cooler threw it in his trunk. Let me out of the car and gave me a ticket for 135 in a 45 mph zone! I was just happy not going to jail. He then told me he liked my car (01 SS m6 arctic) and said have a good night. He then said,"btw nice second gear scratch." I told him actually that was fourth. He just laughed and again told me to have a good night. Ticket screwed me all up. I just paid ($900!!!) it hoping my dad wouldn't find out. **** if the insurance company drop my *** and told my dad what the deal was. He was cool about it though and tried to help me get my own plan. The only company that would insure me wanted $5,000 up front every 6 months. Yeah 5k for only 6 months of full coverage! Needless to say i had to sell the car. Sucked ***** but it was my own fault. Three years of driving a geo prizm and my record cleared and I got another SS. Back in the game. It was a long *** three years. Hard to pull wool in a geo prizm, do-able, but very hard!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wheel Man
I was going through the gears one night in between 2351 & Dixie farm on Beamer. Close to being topped out I shut her down. Never saw a single car. Pulled up to the red light turning left on Dixie Farm, checked rear view and still no cars. Light turned green and I happened to look back... All I saw was a cop top mount light rack. The sob rolled all the way down Beamer with his head lights off. SHIIIIIT was the only thing I had time to say before he lit me up. I was 19 at the time and had a cooler full of beer and a bottle of vodka. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and I told him I really wasn't sure. He said his radar showed 150 and started blinking after. After giving me a hard time, handcuffing me and what not. He took my cooler threw it in his trunk. Let me out of the car and gave me a ticket for 135 in a 45 mph zone! I was just happy not going to jail. He then told me he liked my car (01 SS m6 arctic) and said have a good night. He then said,"btw nice second gear scratch." I told him actually that was fourth. He just laughed and again told me to have a good night. Ticket screwed me all up. I just paid ($900!!!) it hoping my dad wouldn't find out. **** if the insurance company drop my *** and told my dad what the deal was. He was cool about it though and tried to help me get my own plan. The only company that would insure me wanted $5,000 up front every 6 months. Yeah 5k for only 6 months of full coverage! Needless to say i had to sell the car. Sucked ***** but it was my own fault. Three years of driving a geo prizm and my record cleared and I got another SS. Back in the game. It was a long *** three years. Hard to pull wool in a geo prizm, do-able, but very hard!

5G's for 6month! Thats a fkn nightmare bro! Glad its all good now
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

Damn you got lucky man, but its all part of the game. I can't go 1 day without opening up my car on some road or highway!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha i drive a geo prizm currently, a '94. i hate that ******* car. it just wont die though.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jebuzws6
Yea you could have avoided everything if you had a v8...lol.jk. But wow that was some good luck
Dude no way lol! I was just looking some older issues of GMHTP performance this morning and saw your car and had to show my mom because I just made her watch the Big Lebowski a few days ago, wondered if I'd see you on here lol.

This may sound kinda stupid but with with a v6 I don't feel the 'thrown back in your seat' feeling a v8 gives. And the sound doesn't fill me with glee. So to compensate I've liked to go to high speeds and maintain for a short period (always on highways and on the interstate though) With a v8, a nice 0-100 would be all I'd need and I'd be satisfied. 100 is still speeding yes, but on a main road, I'd be satisfied to go from a stop light to the speed limit and not feel like I have to go super fast. That night was an abnormal night to say the least though so who knows what I woulda done with a v8.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Had the same thing happen in my 98 SS in Jan 1999.. The speed they caught me at was 149 in a 65.. I was so stupid back then ...

Just playing around on the highway like a dumbass ... Just after toping out the car I started to slow down and a few min later I had light come on behide me out of no where.. same story as your just no the sob story.. The cop let me go and gave me aa ticket..

I knew I had to plea not guilty to see a Judge.. I didn't want this to go on my record... I thought I had the right court date set on my calendar 22... so I show up and the lady at the court said what did I want I'm here for my court date she said it was yesterday I was like ****.... I thought I was going to jail for sure.. She said the cop didn't show so it was in my favor and it was dismissed.

I was like OMG. I told the lady she must have the wrong person ..Theres no way they would do that on my case . So she saw the speed and said let me go talk to the judge he said nothing we could do the cop didn't show you didn't show so it's dismissed. Your lucky son and let this be a leason and slow down.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Even if they would have put a warrant out, you being in Texas would be like it never happened in the first place. If you went back to California then it would be an issue (until their statute of limitations was exceeded.)

I had traffic warrants down in Houston for years while living in DFW and it never came up. Only reason I eventually paid them off was because I had to get my license renewed when it expired.