General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crank pulley tabs broke during removal, how do I get it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thumbs down Crank pulley tabs broke during removal, how do I get it off?

Well, today I decided I'd install an underdrive pulley I had sitting around. I went to Auto Zone and rented a three prong pulley puller. I loosened the crank bolt, hooked up the crank puller and starting wrenching. I got the pulley about 3/4 of the way off when one of the three tabs gave way. It just snapped right off. I've pulled and installed a few different crank pulleys and this has NEVER happened. Now I'm kind of stuck and not quite sure what to do, I don't really see any other good places to mount the puller. Any ideas?

Last edited by Golf&GM; 02-07-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A three jaw has always worked well for me on a stock balancer, maybe just broke cause it was a cheap tool, I always grip it on the inside of the balancer, not the outside. take that tool back and get another, then try it again.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

The tabs that broke were on the pulley itself. The tool just broke it clean off, and it looks like another tab was about ready to give out too. Have you ever tried attaching the puller to anything other than the inner tabs on the pulley?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to try taking a soft hammer to the pulley to try to get it the rest of the way off. I really don't want to do that, but I don't think there's any other way. Anyone know of a solid place on the pulley I can hook the puller to?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see if you can find a 5 ton 3 jaw puller. put the legs on the outside back flange. It will come right off!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

I actually did just that last night! Took my puller back to Auto Zone and rented a bigger one. Man it was a good feeling to see that pulley come off there. I was so tempted to take a hammer to the back of it cause it was so close to coming off, but the thought of messing up my crank snout snuffed that idea.

Quick Reply: Crank pulley tabs broke during removal, how do I get it off?