Sponsored by:

Engine Build questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Build questions

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of planning my motor rebuild for my '99 'Z. The car is driven daily and only see the drag strip on rare occasions (maybe 1 or 2 times a season). The car will still be daily driven and still not see the drap strip regularly, but will have p&p heads, cam, headers, better intake, and other bolt on's. It will not be an FI motor, but possibly a small shot of nitrous (like 75-100) for those rare drag strip occasions. The LS1 has just under 140,000 miles on it and runs fine and doesn't burn oil at all, so this is not a build out of necessity, just to freshen it up. Here are my question and thank you for your input.

I will definitely go with the stock crank because it should definitely be able to handle the what I out it through. My questions for the bottom end are:

1. I-Beams or H-beams or Stock replacement connecting rods? Obviously I want the motor to last being driven daily with the upgrades I mentioned so do I go with I-beams, H-beams or will using a stock replacement work?

2. What pistons? I will do some clean up machine work to the block so I will use 3.905 pistons, but which ones do I use with a small shot of nitrous, keeping in mind I will use the best rings possible?

I have done some research on rotating assemblies and I like what Texas-Speed has to offer with their 347 assembly, but it seems a little overkill for what I'm wanting. Keep in mind I am not wanting to find the "cheap" way out of this build so if the Texas Speed assembly is the best route then so be it, I just want to get some input from people that push these motors hard.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a leak down test or a compression check.if are cylinders read good just upgrade the top end.TSP has a sale on their heads.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I had thought about doing that. I just didn't want to take a chance on a high mileage motor. I am pretty new to the LS1 scene and I haven't really found anything solid yet on how many mile these motors can take. I'm used to TPI cars and traditional small blocks. Thanks for the heads up on the head sale!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You say its just street driven, but then occasional trips to the track, and then nitrous, Yeah RIGHT thats what we all start of saying, Here is some important info for you, your nitrous system better be dialed in correctly or it will eat your stock pistons for a snack. SO with that in mind,, If you are going to build the bottom end
--The stock crank will hold
--The rods I would go with would be the compstars, thats what I have in my 383 they are super nice strong rods, and dead on balanced within each other, the I beam or H beam does not really make any difference on these power levels, I have heard that H beams are stronger on really big HP engines, but thats just what I have heard.
--As far as pistons go, You need to run a good forged piston especially if you plan on spray, I would go wiseco, and use their ring set they have one with a top ring for the spray. Their quality is super and my pistons were dead on when weighed for balancing.
--And for TSP assemblies, they are a fair price for what you are getting, Dont think for one minute that your build will stay within your budget, Machine work is expensive, EX.. Just to have your rotating assembly balanced will run you 200 bucks. You have to keep those kind of things in mind, If you are building it yourself You can save on the assembly costs, but thats it, Trust me it adds up real fast, If I would have had the money all at once I would have definately done TSPs setup, But I didnt, and it took me almost a year to build my stroker. These are just some things to keep in mind. Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

This car will definitley be a driver first and foremost. That is until I have the budget to have more than 1. Thanks for the input on the rods though. I knew I would more than likely need better pistons, and I'm sure I would get better anyway but the whole H-beam I-beam thing was what I was really hung up on. I am dreading the cost of machine work but it is a must. Thanks for the input