Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MGW Shifter

I just got my MGW shifter in and cant wait to put it in, but i was planning on using my UMI pistol grip. Well it goes until it runs out of threads and bottoms out on shifter handle. If I install it like this it will be as tall as a control lever in a John Deere Dozer. The factory hurst **** is threaded further up in the **** as were the umi is not its threaded from bottom to nearly the top. So could I drill some of the threads out of the umi allowing it to go down further or should I just put the pistol grip up for sale on the classifieds. I havnt even got to use my pistol grip handle yet

Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that shifter when I first came out for our cars, and I love it, Iwas running the pro 5.0 and it is junk compared to the mgw. I dont think you will be able to drill that pistol out very much, I am not sure how deep those threads go, but that grip is not a straight thru bore, the grip curves, so you would run the risk of actually drilling thru the side of the grip. However, the shifter shaft is straight, If you are dead set on that pistol grip, you can get a die and thread that shaft down close to that angle where the shaft gets wider and then screw your pistol grip on until it bottoms out, do the math and cut off the amount of shaft you dont need so you can get your grip where you want it. If you have a good tap/die set you easily can do this yourself, If you dont, take it to any machine shop, and have them do it, I promise it will be a TON cheaper than the price of the DIE alone, much less the wrench to turn it. Hope this helps. If the shop charged you 20.00 I would be surprised...
Attached Thumbnails MGW Shifter-shift-shaft.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info, I just measured how far the pistol grip was threaded and it is threaded 2 5/8" straight- So I think I have enough room to drill out some to allow it to come down on the shaft some more, or i may do what you said to do-only reason im trying to stay away from moding the shaft is I may want to go back to the factory **** at some point. Thanks Again!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any friends who have access to a lathe? I would have some of the bottom turned off to lower the shifter lever down into the shifter collar more. That will make it shorter. You could then machine a little of the threads off of the end so the pistol grip sits low enough to cover the threads.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter