PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How necessary is tune after H/C/I swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How necessary is tune after H/C/I swap?

Im finishing up my HCI swap on my 2001 LS1.how necessary is it to get a tune after this? Will my car run like crap if i dont get a tune? What other problems can i have without a tune?
Here are my mods
Stock 799 heads
228R cam
LS6 intake
Ported TB

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a good idea to run the car long at all without a tune (like drive it to the place to get the tune). The car will run and be drivable but the air/fuel ration will be all over the place either too lean or too rich with different loads and throttle positions. This can cause cylinder wash down from too much too and valve overheating from running too lean. Get a tune asap to be safe!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it tuned ASAP. You will regret it if you dont.
IMO: I wouldnt even start it with out a tune.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lean is hot. You will be lean. You have added alot of air to the engine and no fuel. I would also get a tune for u more the car. It can be bad if you don't.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

driving it to the tuner is as far as I would go. Even then I trailed mine to my tuner.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mandatory

You have to retune. The changes are tremendous. Do you have any type of software to do your own tuning? You can do these changes yourself and I recommend HP tuners. I've been using LS1 Edit because I bought it years ago but this is very limited compared to HP tuners.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Haul it to the tuner. Don't even start it!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

The only guy that does tunes around here is about 20 min from here,besides him,the next guy is about 3 hours away.

How safe is it do a tune without a dyno and wideband?
What about a Frost mail order tune? Safe?
I dont have a wideband hooked up,and idk if he does.theres no dyno in my area either.

Thanks

Last edited by lm38330; 02-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default Frost

I would trust a Frost mail order tune because he appears to be a very knowledgeable tuner and very professional to deal with. It appears he has tuned quite a few cars and he should have a tune that would get you in the right ballpark until you can arrange for a live tune. He will be able to tell you for certain. I received a mail order tune for a car equippment nearly identical to mine and it made a 200% difference in the performance and I would never have been able to figure out the right changes by myself no matter how many hours I spent adjusting things. The less modifications you have made the closer to ideal your mail order tune should be.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Local Tuner

Make certain what the tuner offers before you take your car to him, since anyone who owns the software and even some like myself who are shade tree tuners think they know more than they do.

The wide band and load bearing dyno is the best approach, however some effective tuning can also be done on the street with the right approach.

Bottom line, the guy has to know how to tune MAF, VEs, timing curves, idle fueling, and PE verses RPM and how to analyze the data they log during the tuning process. It is not easy but it is not rocket science either.

Ask some questions about what you would be getting and if there is a guarantee that the tune will result in a car that does not buck, surge, die, or otherwise ends up with unacceptable driveability. You want turn of key starting at the appropriate idle RPM without touching the accelerator pedal.

There are 100 hacks out there for every good tuner and Frost is is not a hack based on his results and reputation on this forum and others.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by James Linder
I would trust a Frost mail order tune because he appears to be a very knowledgeable tuner and very professional to deal with. It appears he has tuned quite a few cars and he should have a tune that would get you in the right ballpark until you can arrange for a live tune. He will be able to tell you for certain. I received a mail order tune for a car equippment nearly identical to mine and it made a 200% difference in the performance and I would never have been able to figure out the right changes by myself no matter how many hours I spent adjusting things. The less modifications you have made the closer to ideal your mail order tune should be.
next to him would be a dyno tune. he is worth every penny in my book
Old 02-12-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are fine to start it and drive it. Just don't go around town giving it full throttle. Not starting it and hauling it to the tuner in my opinion is just silly. The car is going to need to have all of the air bleed out of the cooling system and among other things ie exhaust leaks, air leaks etc etc.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

the car will be entirely out of wack, you've likely changed the compression along with the valve timing which definitely requires a tune
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so i live about 2 hours north of seatle and that is the closest LSX tunner that i am aware of (ellis) and that is who i would like to go to. after my heads and cam swap i was gonna go over there so he could port match my FAST 92 to my new heads and do a dyno tune. would i be able to safely drive it on the freeway for an hour or two to get it there for a tune?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
so i live about 2 hours north of seatle and that is the closest LSX tunner that i am aware of (ellis) and that is who i would like to go to. after my heads and cam swap i was gonna go over there so he could port match my FAST 92 to my new heads and do a dyno tune. would i be able to safely drive it on the freeway for an hour or two to get it there for a tune?
I would, just don't go over 3,000 rpm max. I mean ZERO wot hits!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carter01
I would, just don't go over 3,000 rpm max. I mean ZERO wot hits!
now i do still have my diablo sport for my car, should i do a self tune and then drive over there, would that be better? (i plan to sell this after i get my heads and cam with the dyno tune)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

now i do still have my diablo sport for my car, should i do a self tune and then drive over there, would that be better? (i plan to sell this after i get my heads and cam with the dyno tune)
Only if you know how. If you are asking these questions, then i would lean towards no.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you upgrade/change your fuel injectors? That is one of the paramount questions on running with a stock tune. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it or even start it if you did change them. I mailed my PCM to the tuner, got a safe baseline, got it back then drove 2 hours south to Columbus for a full tune.

If the guy is local and only 20 mins away, see if A.) He can come to your place to do a baseline tune to get you rolling or B.)Take you PCM over to him and have him upload a quick baseline.

How safe is it do a tune without a dyno and wideband?
It's still safe. Without a wideband it can be done, but this is critical information your tuner needs to get the best possible tune. As far as the dyno, my tuner did 95% of my tune on the street then tweaked it on the dyno. Dyno is not a big thing if finding one local is going to be a song and dance.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Did you upgrade/change your fuel injectors? That is one of the paramount questions on running with a stock tune. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it or even start it if you did change them. I mailed my PCM to the tuner, got a safe baseline, got it back then drove 2 hours south to Columbus for a full tune.
yea i am going to 36lb injectors...and when i did my diablo tune, my brother actually did it, he is now in texas. so call the tuner, take my PCM over there for a baseline tune and then drive it there? now when you were talking about wideband, do i have to provide the wideband or will a good tuner provide it? i am going to Ellis in Seattle WA
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yea i am going to 36lb injectors...and when i did my diablo tune, my brother actually did it, he is now in texas. so call the tuner, take my PCM over there for a baseline tune and then drive it there? now when you were talking about wideband, do i have to provide the wideband or will a good tuner provide it? i am going to Ellis in Seattle WA
Yes. Remove your PCM and take it over there, and he will be able to give you a baseline with your new injectors and current mods. I shipped my PCM down to my tuner and got it back 2 days later and re-installed it. I didn't go WOT or anything but the car was driveable and never died at idle or stoplights. I also did not any uneccessary driving afterwards. Just got it running the drove to get the tune. Some people drive hundreds if not thousand of miles on a stock or **** poor tune.

As for the wideband, most tuners have there own wideband and equipment. My guy had me go to an exhaust shop and have a bung welded into the side of the header collector to get the most accurate reading. If you don't want to do that your tuner can clamp one onto the end of your exhaust pipe, but with cats and being further downstream from the engine the readings are not nearly as good as right in the header.

Quick Reply: How necessary is tune after H/C/I swap?