Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a special kind of switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a special kind of switch

I need a switch that has 3 positions: up, down, and one other one, whether it be clicking it, or something else.

There will be 3 leads: 1, 2, and 3

When up: connect 1 and 2
When down: connect 2 and 3
When clicked: connect all.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you are looking for a three position switch on-off-on but with the ability to push in the button in the off position to complete a third circuit?

Are you looking for a rocker or a toggle? Static or momentary?

I think I drove a new mustang that had a similar switch on the steering wheel for a radio control. It was just like this and was a momentary toggle.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, you got it, a momentary toggle switch.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you trying to acomplish?

I would think a SPST momentary using 2 relays to open the circuits between 1-2 and 2-3 would be an option, but depending on what your doing, will change that. Also, looking at your description, pin 2 is always connected in all situations making me wonder why you want it switched.

Ryan
Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I have a new Mustang and all the steering wheel switches are ordinary momentary rockers (volume up/down, tuning up/down, etc.). I have seen some other Ford products with MyTouch switches that are for menu selection - four momentary switches surrounding a central "select" button.

But I have an alternate suggestion. You could use a readily available center off (ON-OFF-ON) switch with a pair of common Bosch-style relays to create the circuit you need. Have the two relays connected to each of your two circuits using the NC (normally closed) terminals. Connect power to one side of each relay coil and the coil grounds each to one side of your center off switch. When the switch is untouched, both circuits are on through the NC terminals of the two relays. When you move the switch one way it grounds the one relay coil switching it to the NO terminal and turning off that circuit but leaving the other on. So you have both circuits on with the switch centered and only one or the other circuit on when you select one side of the switch.

EDIT: looks like slow came up with the same idea while I was typing.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It was the new Camaro I was thinking of. Here are the controls:

The SRC dial is a three position momentary switch with all contacts normally open. Roll the wheel up or down and you get two of the closed positions and press the dial inwards and you get the third.