Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 pump upgrades and intercooler tanks...have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default V2 pump upgrades and intercooler tanks...have?

Seems more and more obvious that these cars(supercharged V2's) could use as much coolant circulation as possible,..especially with back to back heat soaking.... The pump seems fine but, it only seems possible that there has got to be higher flowing volume units out there, that should just pop right in place, with little or no mods. Has anyone looked into this? Gonna look into the pump information this week, and see what kind of specs we can find. But,..figured i'd ask,... anyone upgrade the factory pump yet for the supercharger?

Also, the coolant jug for the blower system,...entirely too small,..holds no real mass of fluid,..which allows it to get hot, and stay hot...longer. A larger tank, would help keep the fluid just that much cooler. Not tons but,..enough to make a difference when needed...not to mention, a larger fill neck with the ability to add ice.

Anyone do this, or buy a specific cooler on here? Vendors? If not, we'll do some measurements and buy or make one for a few bucks. Should be a good mod for everyone rocking the car.(obvious larger exchanger as well).

If you have pictures...lets see em.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drumstix on the other forum is designing something..... Might try and talk to him.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Very interested in this Jamie.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Domsz06
Drumstix on the other forum is designing something..... Might try and talk to him.
Cool, thanks.

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
Very interested in this Jamie.

We can do this easily, just google coolant expansion tank..etc.. and all kinds show up... was just hoping to find something,..specific to the car. I think JAZZ makes something plastic with large fill neck. I'll take some measurements, when I get a free chance.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

...dayum...guess im gonna have to do this on my own. 65 views,..no joy.

I'll measure and find by tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with the V2 setup, but assume there is a heat exchanger involved? Any upgrades to that available, or easy enough to upgrade, I'd imagine.

It's designed for engine oil, but the cooler on an RX7 is pretty good size and works well, as an example. I'm sure there are other oem choices available from other applications too, that people sell for cheap (vs. paying way over for a 'shop' to sell you something).

If you want to really experiment, suppose you could tie into the A/C somehow for the cooling properties. IIRC, somebody did something similar to this on the LS1gto.com forum some time ago (magnacharger, iirc)...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, it's not super hard to figure it out, your correct. It's gotta be,..without looking at one right now...about 7" long,...5" wide...and probably 7-8" deep..... should go in the area right above the factory ECM in the V2's. I was just hoping someone that owned the car, had already modded it, and had an easy fix for everyone but,...it would seem I am in the wrong forum,...as it seems like everyones runnig a factory tank,... which I find hard to believe,..given the low cost to replace, and the realative ease of installation.... people could do this in they're garages as long as they could bleed the blower afterwards.

Anyways,..thanks for your insight man.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm not sure where the 'garage tech' is for these cars, so to speak, in that regard. I would love to have the opportunity to be an innovator on such projects, but just don't have the resources There is a lot of potential waiting to be opened up, for sure, and to be involved would be nice, but life has a way of handing me other things right now
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol...i'm kinda stuck right in the middle of it. Instead of daydreaming about making my car fast, and work,...I gotta do the same for several platforms. It gets stressful...when your dealing with someone elses baby. Fun but,...stressful. Not to mention, I gotta fix they're problems too,..electrical, noises, HVAC,....and still not hate the cars. I do love it but,..i'd feel better if I was allowed to unleash a mini gun burst/dump into one every once in a while.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear ya, and why I stayed out of the industry, I guess. Part of me wants to do it, but the other part not I was into 4x4ing at one time and a couple years ago had a shot at getting into King Off Road Racing for work (thought it would've been awesome to design stuff for them while not having to worry about my own thing), but in retrospect glad I didn't, as the economy collasped soon after and imagine it would not have lasted.

When I was younger, I had dreams of doing my own car company (like saleen) one day, but then between wife, kids and life, saw there were higher priorities (for me) in life, although I still try to keep it as a way of relieving stress and such, but it adds to it when you can't do it full on...tricky thing, but just need to keep it at the fun level for now and if it works, do it, otherwise be patient sort of thing...

enough rambling though, ha ha...

It's fun working on the stuff and good knowledge to have and be able to apply it to other areas. Good thing for kids to get into, although nowadays, it's just not the same in some ways, but yet the same in some...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

word.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
lol...i'm kinda stuck right in the middle of it. Instead of daydreaming about making my car fast, and work,...I gotta do the same for several platforms. It gets stressful...when your dealing with someone elses baby. Fun but,...stressful. Not to mention, I gotta fix they're problems too,..electrical, noises, HVAC,....and still not hate the cars. I do love it but,..i'd feel better if I was allowed to unleash a mini gun burst/dump into one every once in a while.
I think the reason you have not seen much of this info is that move of the v2 guys are guys that like the car and rarely drive em hard. When they do the stock set up is sufficient. There are the one's that do drive them hard, cblove, gnxs, drumstix, phxtrode, etc and a few of them are designing their own mods or the others just buy what's out there.

Most just put on W4M's H/E and call it good as it's not even a bolt on, and it works sufficient. ( mean it's just like adding a tank....)

I like your idea that your thinking about, might have to go look into a tank, adding an extra gallon or 2 to the system sure wouldn't hurt....
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

V2s confused me...and make me feel like less of a man
Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm....not good...nothing should make a man feel like that. You ok pal?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 2009 v ......the heat exchanger for the blower is about the size of the radiator looks like it also....the guys at www.fastlaneturbo.com make an upgrade.... but i belive they are asking 650 for the heat exchanger.....i just bought a new one cuz a rock busted the stock one i had on my car and they didnt have one in stock......but i thought that was a lil steeeeeeeep.....
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have one I bought from D3 its massive .... I can run it back to back non stop and have no heatsoak issues. I first got it without the upgrade pump and it was ok it would run strong for a good 10 hard pulls...but I was not good enough so I ordered the upgrade pump and new fill tank..

check it out ... http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/ctsvintercoole
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

there is a local mustang guy around here that some how uses his A/C to cool his aftercooler. fluid stays around 40 degree's and up to 60 during multiple thrashings.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I bought the Hennessey heat exchanger, it's nice and fits where the stock heat exchanger was. But what OP is asking about, I believe, is a larger coolant reservoir.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hyespeeder
I have one I bought from D3 its massive .... I can run it back to back non stop and have no heatsoak issues. I first got it without the upgrade pump and it was ok it would run strong for a good 10 hard pulls...but I was not good enough so I ordered the upgrade pump and new fill tank..

check it out ... http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/ctsvintercoole
Since we base our opinions off hardcore data,...do you have any IAT information after your back to back runs? I'd like to see that no heatsoak log. Do you have any other mods to the blower cooling system, other then the D3 heatexchanger?

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
I bought the Hennessey heat exchanger, it's nice and fits where the stock heat exchanger was. But what OP is asking about, I believe, is a larger coolant reservoir.

bingo.

Seeing this reminds me,..gonna go out to the garage and see if I have a tank here,..if not, then I have it at the up north garage. Lemme check-
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

It seems to me that the cheapest way to increase the amount of coolant in the system would be a larger reservoir as well. An increase in size at the heat exchanger will increase system capacity but the increase per dollar is low compared to a reservoir because you are mostly paying for the heat exchanger, which will probably more efficient but wont help with actual thermal overload due to heat soak.

I will take a peek at one of the V2's here at work sometime soon and see where a possible place would be for added system capacity.

Quick Reply: V2 pump upgrades and intercooler tanks...have?