Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 3 good for 1.45 60fts in my BOLT on C6Z w/video

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monster Stage 3 good for 1.45 60fts in my BOLT on C6Z w/video

Monster Stage 3 doing what it does best!!!

Racing started around 9:30-9:45 and the first corvette up broke the rear so I about peed my pants thinking oh crap this is just not a good idea. After a few cars went up I decided to start slowly. With a easy launch and shifts down through I came back for another run. I launched the car around 4800rpm and was rewarded with a 1.48 60ft time! HOT DAYUM! I let the car cool several times partially due to it was crouded with probably around 40+cars easy so it would get backed up. I got to meet up with some old and new friends which was great. Thanks to Paint it Black for the burger and soda lol! As the day went on the temperatures rose from 66*degrees at 9:30 to 73 degrees by 12pm and up to 76degrees by 3:00pm and 78degrees by 4:00pm where we started looking for shade. I did get sun burned aswell LOL.
I have video of the runs and some of the nice guys from the Mercedes and BMW forums took some nice pics of the car and video. I made approx 15+ runs which puts near 70 passes on the Monster Stage 3 clutch that is still working amazingly.

Best run of the day came towards the end.

60ft-1.454 new PB
330ft-4.272new PB
1/8mi-6.642new PB
1/8mph-104.78--down 1.5mph
1000ft- 8.666
1/4mi- 10.369
1/4mph-133.16-down 1.5mph
Time of run 3:54pm
This run was with a more aggressive slip of the clutch at approx 5200rpm at time of engagement of the clutch and fast squeaze of the throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC8lsu0PhTA

Honorble mention run:

60ft-1.487
330ft-4.335
1/8mi-6.706
1/8mph-104.68
1000ft-8.734
1/4mi-10.444
1/4mph-132.57mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRbLIZaENM
Video of this run Sebast can make fun of the shifting was horrible on this run but it was the 2nd pass and I was nervous after watching 2 cars break.
Time of run 10:09am Thanks to Adam with a gorgeous BMW supercharged taking the clean video!

Thanks again Monster clutches for the fantastic clutch. Its nice to drive 3hours to the track. Then run several 1.4x 60fts low 10's and drive 3hours home
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Car has run a best of 10.34@134.60mph in better weather with a 1.50 60ft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJT4tqttTiI
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice indeed!!!:d
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

what size/brand tires are you running? Hats off to the low 10's and killer MPH for bolt ons. Gotta love that dense East Coast air!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnx7
what size/brand tires are you running? Hats off to the low 10's and killer MPH for bolt ons. Gotta love that dense East Coast air!
The rear tires are 5yr old Bald Mickey Thompson 275/40/17s. They were specially made by a friends C5 LOL. Handme downs. As for the air you better get your butt out to Sacramento raceway they've had a couple race days with negative DA weather racing days this year they have mentioned on corvette forum. LOVE THE RX7 by the way! Any videos of that puppy getting work done?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Holy **** look at that thing take off in the first vid. Wow.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Nice job Zturd! How is that clutch driveability wise on the street?

This is the clutch that I have decided to go with even though it is overkill for what I have power/mod wise but it will see a lot of track. Trying to get one by the end of the month since there is a sale going on right now. I dont want to risk getting an organic clutch that may not handle much track use as Monster states with the Level 2 kit description.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great 60' too considering the 3.42 gears in that thing
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEGATRONSS
Holy **** look at that thing take off in the first vid. Wow.
Thanks it looks like it leaves harder in the first video even though it was a 1.48 60ft versus the 1.45 60ft in the 2nd one cause the rpms hang then she starts to accelerate quite nicely for the air. We want atleast a bottom 10.2x out of the car within the month with no other changes than better air most likely.

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
Nice job Zturd! How is that clutch driveability wise on the street?

This is the clutch that I have decided to go with even though it is overkill for what I have power/mod wise but it will see a lot of track. Trying to get one by the end of the month since there is a sale going on right now. I dont want to risk getting an organic clutch that may not handle much track use as Monster states with the Level 2 kit description.
I'm sure you will be very happy with your clutch. For the first bit with my stock 3.42 tall rear gears I thought I was gonna get smacked in the face by the wife when I took it out cause of the chatter. However I did well at giving the clutch a good 500+mile break in without over throttling so I was very proud of myself. I believe monster says you do not HAVE to give a extended break in period on the Stage 3 due to the material but I always like to play things safe. So I gave it the break in period and it still chattered but was greatly reduced from the initial install. Then I took it to the track and it felt almost like a on off switch which is very tough for a corvette owner to launch. However the more I ran the car more the clutch broke in, the pedal effort is maybe 10-15% more than stock with my pedal spring removed even. Now I have quite a few thousand miles on the clutch its smooth and easy to launch. To many people are overly aggressive on their launches and can kill a clutch quickly. I'm one of those people that used to do that. Then I really LEARNED how to drive the car smarter and launch smoother. It equates to great 60ft times great ET's and a long lasting clutch. I always recommend to get the remote bleeder to keep your fluid clean as can be. This helps longevity for the clutch aswell. Feel free to ask me anything. I'm always honest even when it hurts LOL!

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Great 60' too considering the 3.42 gears in that thing

Good point Lt.Dan thats the crazy part is the 60fts with such a tall gear. Now the car does make great low end torque to help but the clutch is a huge part of this and wanted to share with everyone my experience with Monster themselves and their product. You dont always get to hear the good news as much as bad when it comes to clutches typically.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Yeah...I have a lot to learn about proper launches and the feel of F-bodies since this spring will be my first run in the Z. Hopefully this year I will make enough runs to get better. I had a decently modified Subaru WRX putting 400whp/398wtq and always had to worry about something breaking since the trans was made of glass, I could never really "launch" and was running mid to low 13's with a low 12 car. Got bored, sold it and here I am with the F-body and a transmission that was actually made in mens. My s60 rear is going in tomorrow and a few other suspension goodies so that gets rid of one possible breakage problem

Trying to make a pretty solid setup. I wont say bullet proof cuz a wise man told me "some people can break a anvil with a rubber mallet..."

The Subie had high clamping pressure plate too so my leg muscle is conditioned
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turd you getting some wheel hop?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greekey
Turd you getting some wheel hop?
Regrettfully yes if i'm not careful to do the correct burn out, then just to quick of a clutch release and not enough throttle can be VERY BAD!!!! I dont get it as much with the Mickey Thompson DR's as I did with the Hoosier 315/30/17's. Those things hooked or hopped bad or were amazing. But it was a FINE FINE line for the hoosiers. Bias ply tires would probably take care of it but then you lose top end some and more brutal on the driveline/clutch sometimes. It may sponge up some but they can hit pretty hard aswell. The radials have less rolling resistance so they MPH better which the car likes IMO.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scooby is now going to be a proud owner of a Monster stage 3. Congrats on a good choice
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zturd
Regrettfully yes if i'm not careful to do the correct burn out, then just to quick of a clutch release and not enough throttle can be VERY BAD!!!! I dont get it as much with the Mickey Thompson DR's as I did with the Hoosier 315/30/17's. Those things hooked or hopped bad or were amazing. But it was a FINE FINE line for the hoosiers. Bias ply tires would probably take care of it but then you lose top end some and more brutal on the driveline/clutch sometimes. It may sponge up some but they can hit pretty hard aswell. The radials have less rolling resistance so they MPH better which the car likes IMO.
Have you tried eliminating it?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greekey
Have you tried eliminating it?
Eliminated what the burnout? Sorry not sure what you were referring to?

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 3 good for 1.45 60fts in my BOLT on C6Z w/video