Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding horsepower, will I need to upgrade tranny/drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Adding horsepower, will I need to upgrade tranny/drivetrain?

Sup guys. I'm really thinking about throwing a cam into my Firehawk in the near future and then leaving it alone for good. I'm not gonna be going to a huge cam, but not a baby cam either- something in the middle that will for the most part keep driveability the same but add a good amount of power. The cars running the 4L60e, and I'm wondering if I'll need to put money into the drivetrain/tranny for the added power? My goal would be to hit around 380-400 rwhp with the cam and mods in my sig. I know this is possible because there are so many good mild cams out there these days. Any reccomendations you guys think I would need so I don't have to jump off a building after my rear end breaks? Lol.. car is a street car BTW.. no track around me but I do get on it a lot on the freeways and do a (probably not good) good amount of street racing.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abuse anything, and you will find yourself going broke. Do you need to upgrade your drivetrain? No. Is it a good idea? yes. Just remember our cars rearends cant even hold stock horsepower without puking their brains out. But some get lucky. Now you adding power will most def. put more stress on drivetrain parts. Theres no doubt about it. It will be only a matter of time before something fails.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greekey
Abuse anything, and you will find yourself going broke. Do you need to upgrade your drivetrain? No. Is it a good idea? yes. Just remember our cars rearends cant even hold stock horsepower without puking their brains out. But some get lucky. Now you adding power will most def. put more stress on drivetrain parts. Theres no doubt about it. It will be only a matter of time before something fails.

Thanks for the advice. Does this include the limited-slip 3.23's that came on the Firehawks?

Basically my question is this: is it highly reccomended for a cam-only/bolt on f-body to have transmission/drivetrain upgrades? And if so what are the first things that should be done?

I understand that it is always a good idea to upgrade- but the thing is I'm on a budget. Basically, it is isn't highly reccomended for it to be done.. it ain't getting done. Also consider this: the car is an A4 which is much less harsh on the rear, plus I very very rarely ever launch from a dig as I don't race at a track ().
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear end will probably be alright especially since you don't race at the track but the stock 4L60E is going to take a **** on you.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 AM
11 Second Club

The rear end will be fine. The autos aren't nearly as hard on it as a manual. 4l60's are turds. I'd look into a built one down the road, but you should be ok for a while depending on how many miles are on it right now.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
The rear end will be fine. The autos aren't nearly as hard on it as a manual. 4l60's are turds. I'd look into a built one down the road, but you should be ok for a while depending on how many miles are on it right now.
I'm coming up on 88k miles on the auto. That being said, it does shift perfectly without any problems whatsoever. What would you guys reccomend for a build and how much does it typically cost?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does a bear **** in the woods?

JK JK If you don't beat the heck out of the car after the cam you "should" be ok for a while. Start stompin on the fun pedal and you can kiss that trans goodbye sooner than later.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Not always.
28 bottles of nitrous here, 1.65-1.71 60' times for 11's going on 4 years now. 423.5 rwhp.
Get a good tranny cooler, regular fluid changes, don't delete tq mgmt, and keep your shift points at 6,000 rpms.
Should last for some time, assuming your trans is in good shape to begin with.
Now, to get the full benefit of a larger cam, your gonna have to spin a bit past the stock shift points.
Lot of folks seem to start having their issues once that engine starts seeing 6500 + rpms on a regular basis.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dannyz
Not always.
28 bottles of nitrous here, 1.65-1.71 60' times for 11's going on 4 years now. 423.5 rwhp.
Get a good tranny cooler, regular fluid changes, don't delete tq mgmt, and keep your shift points at 6,000 rpms.
Should last for some time, assuming your trans is in good shape to begin with.
Now, to get the full benefit of a larger cam, your gonna have to spin a bit past the stock shift points.
Lot of folks seem to start having their issues once that engine starts seeing 6500 + rpms on a regular basis.
Thanks for the info.. I would keep the shift points around 6k. I don't need to spin the engine into oblivion, like I said my plans for it are to be primarily a sleeper for the street with a small/medium sized cam. Are you on the stock rear also?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had my cam and stall installed at 94k. Since, the car just recently turned 100k. I have a 230 cam, a tci 3500 stall, and the best trans cooler I could find. I have currently had no problems. However, my car hasn't seen the track. I do play in it whenever I get it out, but its mostly babied. Shift point is set at 6700.

The factory 4l60 is definately not the best. I do think though if you drive with some sense, and stay on top of maintenance, that it will hold up and give you enough time to atleast save for another one.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
Thanks for the info.. I would keep the shift points around 6k. I don't need to spin the engine into oblivion, like I said my plans for it are to be primarily a sleeper for the street with a small/medium sized cam. Are you on the stock rear also?
Yessir, I am on the stock 10 bolt.
Gears have been changed from the original 2.73's to 3.42's.
Thats it though.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM
9 Second Club

I would do 3:42 gears and get a lv2 4l60e from performabuilt.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Stock trans and rear end will last as long as the tires are spinning. It will be hard on the wheel bearings though. Parts usually dont start breaking until you start running slicks or good DR's.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by David Q
Stock trans and rear end will last as long as the tires are spinning. It will be hard on the wheel bearings though. Parts usually dont start breaking until you start running slicks or good DR's.
This is also true. Even with my mild setup, the stall blows the tires off pretty easy. My buddy took his to the track and had never had any problems unitl he used someones 26" slicks. He didn't make it past the 60'..
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by David Q
Hard on wheel bearings????
Lmao.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
This is also true. Even with my mild setup, the stall blows the tires off pretty easy. My buddy took his to the track and had never had any problems unitl he used someones 26" slicks. He didn't make it past the 60'..
His wheel bearings failed after using 26" slicks?
And just how did that happen?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was talking about the rear..
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

If your getting a cam, don't forget a valve spring upgrade and I'd say get a stall (3500ish) T/A Girdle to help your rear last and start setting $$ aside for the tranny.

4L60's are junk!!! I used to have a boneyard full of them til the price of aluminum went up I love my th400
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dannyz
Hard on wheel bearings????
Lmao.
It sure is, smoking the tires down all the time sure is hard on a set of bearings, but if it hooks say good by to a ring and pinion.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a good trans cooler and tune and they should last a long long time.

Auto rear ends will take you a long way, especially if you don't go to the track it should last as long as any other rear. Trans is a toss up but if it is in good shape now chances are you will get another 25k+ as long as you take care of it.