Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 gear whine in 5th and 6th

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 gear whine in 5th and 6th

I am begening to wonder if I have been mistaking rear end noise for tranny gear noise. I have had 3 rear end in the car and still getting noise. I think its the T56. On jack stands I can run it from 20 to 80 mph in 4th with no noise. As soon as I shift into 5 and do the same thing I start to get noise, then put it in 6th and it gets louder. Same mph in 4th no noise, same mph in 5th start to hear noise, same mph in 6th noise gets louder. The drive shaft is spinning the same speed at that mph no matter what gear I am in, just turning more engine RPM. So, looks like I might be learning how to rebuild a T56 transmission.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming it's not the clutch since it does it on jack stands, you've probably either have exceeded the clearance specs on the 5/6/R extension shaft, and/or worn the mainshaft splines for the 5/6 cluster gear. It's more common on high-milage and LT1 T56s.

If you pull the trans, check the 5/6/R extension shaft end-play before opening it up. If more than 0.004", you might want to try just pulling the tail housing and resetting the shim. If you take it apart and find the 5/6 cluster splines worn, you can replace the mainshaft and 5/6 cluster, or talk to Jason@TDP and get yours repaired.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Assuming it's not the clutch since it does it on jack stands, you've probably either have exceeded the clearance specs on the 5/6/R extension shaft, and/or worn the mainshaft splines for the 5/6 cluster gear. It's more common on high-milage and LT1 T56s.

If you pull the trans, check the 5/6/R extension shaft end-play before opening it up. If more than 0.004", you might want to try just pulling the tail housing and resetting the shim. If you take it apart and find the 5/6 cluster splines worn, you can replace the mainshaft and 5/6 cluster, or talk to Jason@TDP and get yours repaired.
Cool thanks, I have had the tailshaft off to replace the tail shaft bushing but didnt notice anything. There seemed to be a lot metal on the 2 magnets. I replaced the bushing and put it back together. The tranny has always had some type of clunking going on it it ever since I bought the car.

Quick Reply: T56 gear whine in 5th and 6th