Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dead battery?

let my car sit for 3 days during a snow storm and the battery was completly toasted.. had to be jumped in order to run, continued to need to be jumped for an additional 3-4 days making that click click click noise a dead battery makes. now it makes that click click click noise(lights appear dimmer aswell) with the ignition turned awhile longer it makes the click noise then suddenly it will start to turn over as you can hear in this video then it fires up. sometimes itll die again after fireing up and ill have to do the whole procedure another 2-3 times till it runs steady, ive also noticed rpm drop off while idoling sometimes. generally it idols right at 650-700rpm then itll drop off to 300rpm and almost die. car is a 2002 ws6 with 45k miles. mild bolt-ons. any help would be appreciated.

cant figure out how to load the video.. its a video from my android phone .3gp and said its invalid..
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Launching!

An alternator is meant to maintain a charge, not recharge a completely dead battery. You should put a battery charger on it at 2amps for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the volts at the battery with the car running. If not, how many volts is your gauge on the dash showing?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elwood2
An alternator is meant to maintain a charge, not recharge a completely dead battery. You should put a battery charger on it at 2amps for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the volts at the battery with the car running. If not, how many volts is your gauge on the dash showing?
when the car actually fires up everything is completly fine, but prior to a start up the lights are really dim, and my speed radar flashed low volts low volts
Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Yes. Your battery is dead. Put it on a charger. Most auto part stores will charge your battery for free. It sounds like your alternator is good but you never know.

If your battery is old then it may just be time for a replacement. I had an old battery in my old truck that I ran dead. I charged it overnight at 2 amps and it fired up twice and then it was dead the third time I went to crank it. Charged it again and the same thing happened. Bought a new one then everything was fine. I had even ran mine on a desulfurization process for an entire weekend and it didn't help.

Try charging it first and see if it holds a charge.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of battery, also how old is the battery, I have found that the sears batteries just suck, if you buy odyssey battery that should fix it for the life of the car.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red top here, fine for two years good batteries
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Had something similar happen to my Napa battery......had to jump it a few times during the snow storms, it sat for a few days and the battery was toast...First and last time Ill ever buy a battery from Napa.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

how could it possibly be the battery tho if the car will start without being jumped??.. like i said when i crank it itll make the click click click tick noise a dead battery makes then after about 5 seconds of that happening the click goes away and the car starts to turn over(struggles doing so) but it does, then the car will start up
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Loose wire? any sort of incomplete contact at the battery terminals will lead to this kind of problem ... But yea, your alternator is not going to recharge your battery after it died. You are making a potentially expensive problem (buying a new battery) even more expensive (buying a new battery and alternator).
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Have you checked the connections for corrosion? My truck uses the sane style battery and connectors and it would do the same thing. I took the connectors out and cleaned them up good and that fixed the issue
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a bad ground, either loose or corrosion at one end or the other. I would put money on just being loose.

Quick Reply: dead battery?