Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Bad? No reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Bad? No reverse!

Before dropping a grand on a new clutch, I'm wondering if it is what's wrong with my 01 SS. The car has 29k on the stock clutch and was bone stock till about 23k. The car makes 385hp/375 tq at the wheels. Last summer it started developing an issue with going into gear. It doesn't always want to go into first and now it refuses to go into reverse. In order to get the car into reverse I have to turn the engine off. Then put it in reverse and restart the engine. Not always fun! It's not the lockout solenoid keeping it out as with the ignition on but engine off it goes in just fine. It acts like the clutch is dragging and not letting it spin down slow enough to shift. The clutch doesn't slip under load and held up the few times it has been to the track in the last 5 years the last of which was last September. Just curious what all could be the issue. I imagine the clutch is dead but just want some input on the issue. The car rolled into the garage last November after a trip to NC and has been sitting ever since.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

This might solve your issues, http://monsterclutches.com/fbodymaster.html
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Teching In

I'll give them a yell and see what they think. I was thinking about installing one of them with a Monster Stage 2 anyway. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Clutch Bad? No reverse!