Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM A-body T56 folks--what clutch master setup did you go with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GM A-body T56 folks--what clutch master setup did you go with?

I took out my LT1/T56 and am getting the LS1 T56 ready to replace w/my L96 engine. When talking to a couple of the vendors (including the one providing me the tranny), they suggested I couldn't just use a stock LS1 style clutch master in an a-body application. Not quite sure why; that is what I did with my LT1 T56 and it drove fine for 12 years. I already have the mounting bracket that goes behind the power booster.

So what are you using? How did it work? Any lessons learned? I want to buy this quick and install it while I have no engine in the bay and lots of room to work!

Any of you feel the need to go w/Tick's adjustable? Any other alternatives?

This is for basically street duty....

TIA
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set mine up for a stock clutch master but ended up getting a deal on a Mcleod billet one. I don't see any problem as long as you mount is so you get full travel and you make a pedal stop or something to make sure you don't bottom the pushrod out in the master you will be fine.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a RAM adjustable for my but I'm using f-body pedals.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock F-body master with the adapter plate, Stock A-Body pedals, modified for the rod to be in the correct location and travel.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default clutch set up

I have a 1966 GTO Convertible with a LS2 & T56 out of a 2006 GTO, I used the Street & Performance master cylinder adaptor plate that sits behind the brake booster and used a 1998-2002 F Body master cylinder and slave cylinder and the stock clutch pedal already had a hole that lined up perfect for the master cylinder pushrod, I have not used or made any pedal travel stops and have not had any problems to date, It is amazing that during this swap how many things lined up perfectly like if it was the original drivetrain for this car and then there the amazing amount of things that needed to be hammered, grinded and welded on and a few dozen curse words to make other aspects of this swap to work, I started my swap in 2007 when there was not as much info and parts out there as there are now. I saw your other post on the BRP mounts I did use their kit but like I said I bought them in either 2007 or 2008 and they used the old style chevrolet frame stands and old style engine mounts, I just centered everything where I wanted it and drilled new holes to mount the frame stands, I have seen since then they have upgraded that kit a couple of times to better looking and hopefully better fitting kits, as after numerous phone calls to Phil at BRP we came to the conclusion not all A Bodies are created equal as the GTO frame and firewall have several items that are different than a Chevelle A Body in which there kit was originally designed around. I did have to hammer clearance my $700.00 headers a little which pissed me off quite a bit.

Quick Reply: GM A-body T56 folks--what clutch master setup did you go with?