Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats inside this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats inside this?

Whats under the shrink wrap? Is it just a bulky 4 into 1 junction for grounds errr wha?? I am wondering as i need to bend my harness where one of these is located and its not allowing me to do so. I can if I can cut it out though...
Attached Thumbnails Whats inside this?-wtfisthis.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ground wires that are just joinned. That is just the way GM does this. It is also sealed from water.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Whats under the shrink wrap? Is it just a bulky 4 into 1 junction for grounds errr wha?? I am wondering as i need to bend my harness where one of these is located and its not allowing me to do so. I can if I can cut it out though...
That's a common GM "splice", there are several dozen in a typical harness. If you look at a wiring diagram, it'll show as Sxxx where the x's are the splice number. Do not cut it, it will cause you some major grief!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
That's a common GM "splice", there are several dozen in a typical harness. If you look at a wiring diagram, it'll show as Sxxx where the x's are the splice number. Do not cut it, it will cause you some major grief!
why not? I mean if its 3 wires being spliced and only 1 coming out... All I want to do is tidy up the splice, make it a fraction of the length.

let me be more clear, the pic I posted is a donar harness. The harness that wait for me did has 3 wires going in, and 1 wire going out. The other wires were cut. This harness worked for 6 years previous. Just cleaning it up. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing fancy inside the shrink.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah. no problem in redoing it if that is your goal. As long as you resplice it with a good soldering job, no problem.

I think S10 was thinking of you cutting it and not rewiring it !.. ?.. I'm sure he was just looking out for ya !
Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
...I think S10 was thinking of you cutting it and not rewiring it !.. ?.. I'm sure he was just looking out for ya !
Yup, the OP wasn't real clear on his intentions. Just cutting it out = no run.

Quick Reply: Whats inside this?