Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X, Y, H pipe or true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X, Y, H pipe or true duals?

looking to change my stock exhuast out, what is going to be the best for my car? 98 t/a ws6 auto suncoast ram air hood and air box and it appears to have a cat back already on it but dont know what brand.(just bought the car from a dealer who thought it was all stock) I've heard different pipes affect the hp and tq range etc and ive heard that back pressure is a myth but if so then why do they affect the power band? same with long tube headers. I'm also going to be adding pacesetter L/T's
Attached Thumbnails X, Y, H pipe or true duals?-getattachment5.jpg   X, Y, H pipe or true duals?-getattachment6.jpg   X, Y, H pipe or true duals?-getattachment7.jpg   X, Y, H pipe or true duals?-getattachment8.jpg   X, Y, H pipe or true duals?-getattachment10.jpg  

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Do some searches, exhausts have been covered a lot. Long tubes are one of the first things I would do along with the exhaust to your car. As far as exhausts go, true duals verses catback is also something that has been covered a lot. If you do the duals and dump before the axles it will be the cheapest and be the largest power gainer, however it also will be the loudest and is more prone to drone than if you run it all the way to the back. Catback is easier to run all the way to the back but will result in not quite as much gains as a true dual. Most people like the sounds of true duals better as well. Check out ls1sounds.com

After rereading your post I see that you might have an aftermarket catback in which case there will be very little gain from swapping in between the various catback companies, maybe up to 5 hp with a gmmg or corsa, something like that. Gains are going to come from true duals but in the end it is all about what you want or can afford
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

I just got done with my exhaust. pacesetter lt's and pacesetter ory. i had flowmaster catback before i put the lt's and ory on and i am pretty sure i could tell a difference with those. I would recommend them.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Check out some of the info in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html

Gives some good pros and cons to different setups. As far as your thread title, most people on here would consider X and H pipes to be "true dual" setups. I am guessing by true dual you mean running the pipes independently of each other and never crossing them
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

honestly...the true duels dont have alot of drone in the car
you can still hold a conversation with out yelling
and if you do go with the true duels make sure your car does not a 2" drop or you are going to scrape on everything... ask me how i know
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the stickies you will be glad you did there pretty helpful

LT's and true duels are the best for your car.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

ya i was meaning independent of each other the whole way back. and ya ive been reading about them but i guess im not seeing which one is better. everyone says hey i ran this and i like it. i guess its personal preference. I guess im wanting to "see numbers" on the different styles. And does anyone know how I can go about posting stuff for sale on here? im a newbie and cant post anything!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

It looks like you still have a the factory Y Pipe under there. You could save money and just buy LTs, Off-Road Y-pipe (ORY), and maybe a good muffler, rather than purchasing a whole new exhaust. I have "read" that the X-pipe with duals nets better gains than just straight duals. I am currently running Pacesetter Lts with x-pipe true duals. LOVE EM. However, if you dump the exhaust at the axle, then there is a lot of drone inside. At least with the dynomax bullets. I ran the pipes out back recently, altho less drone, i hate the way it has affected the sound of the exhaust at WOT.... pros and cons..... As far as which is better for hp #s.... i think it's All the same..... people have gone Fast on each kind of exhaust set-up. comes down to personal preference. Me....i like the duals, because I HATE the raspy, popping sound all Y-pipe systems seem to make. GMMG is the only y-pipe setup i personally like. As far has mufflers, just stay away from Flowmaster. Dynomax, magnaflow, corsa, slp, hooker, and few others flow about the best.

Edit: O and you have to min 50 posts or 6 months membership before you can post in Classifieds section. So get to posting.... but there's a Catch....... some sections Do Not count towards your Post Count! LOL such as the Intro section

Last edited by YURVIEW; 03-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

so if I went with Pacesetter LT's x pipe and true duals out to the back, what kind of muffler would i need? the bullet style (like glasspacks) or will a muffler shop do all the figuring? I've never had to deal with ground clearance issues as all the exhuast stuff ive done has been on full size trucks running pipe from the headers to a single pipe where the glasspack was then back to two on down the truck to the rear. So dealing with a car is a bit different for me. Speaking of glasspacks....I dont see people running them on these cars any particular reason why?

oh and i dont need to worry about any emissions testing either since i live like 2 miles outside the limit
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ran 3 different catbacks. Loudmouth, Dynomouth, Magnaflow. I am now running TSP Dynomax bullets and it ***** on all of em..

The loudmouth was by far the loudest, but it wasnt the best sound, only at WOT..

Magnaflow is popular on this site cuz its stainless steel for cheap price, but the sound isnt that great. It is very quiet. Even with a cam you could barely notice my cam in there.

Duals on my car are perfect. There is no drone. It flat out is sick sounding. At crusing speeds its pretty tame, but you can feel that this thing is ready to scream. It has a great muscle car sound to it.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Exhaust is all a matter of personal preference. A y-pipe with a cutout will make the most power but true duals should make more power than a y-pipe/catback depending on the mufflers you choose. However, the hp differences between the 3 will be minimal. Check out ls1sounds.com to figure out what YOU like not what someone else tells you.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

LTs for sure. Check TSPs site they have LTs and ORY kits man. There are three kits I just looked up starting at $369.99 to $589.50.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Banned

What about the Nascar style boom tubes? Has anyone used that kind of setup? They should give you plenty of ground clearance since they are flat and they are loud as hell.

http://www.boyceindustries.com/performance_products.htm

Its a lt1 but it gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F4k3xybOw8

Watch right at :15 just in front of the rear tire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7rApGRGpY

Heres a c5 with a boom tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdtY...embedded#at=12

Quick Reply: X, Y, H pipe or true duals?