Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help the Newbie - Step 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lightbulb Help the Newbie - Step 2

Hey--

I really appreciate all of your posts in the thread that I started earlier. I created a new thread to avoid confusion--if someone has a problem with it, I'll go back to the old one. Anyway, over the past two days, I've been doing a lot of research online to try to confirm or reject what was previously said. Given my $2000 budget, I've decided to make the following three changes (for now):
  1. Install a short-throw shifter.
  2. Replace the clutch and flywheel.
  3. Lower the car by about 1 inch.
If you don't mind, I've got a list of parts that I hope you'll have time to review. While you're at it, if any suggestions regarding tools come to mind--torque wrenches, sleds, and jacks--I'd love to hear them. I moved away from home a year ago, and now that I'm gone, I'm really starting to appreciate the ridiculous quantity of tools that my dad accumulated over the years.

Part #1: Short-Throw Shifter

There appear to be three popular models:
  1. PISNUOFF (Homebrew) Shifter (price unknown - asked for quote)
  2. Katech KAT-A3736 Shifter ($260)
  3. Lindsay Cadillac UUC Shifter (price unknown - asked for quote)
If you have a particular favorite, let me know why you like it. I'm so used to cutting my knuckles on my STI Driver's cigarette adapter (when I hit fifth gear) that this is going to be godsend from that perspective alone.

Part #2: Clutch and Flywheel

When it comes to the clutch, I've got two OEM LS7 clutch vendors selected:
  1. It's hard to argue with this price ($250). What worries me is that he quotes Part #24255748, which is just for the clutch plate and is in direct conflict with the auction title.
  2. Then there's this one ($320).
As far as I can tell, the only really tricky part about this modification is the slave cylinder (probably because I don't understand what it is yet). I need to do some more research to ensure that I can use the one I've got.

Selection of a flywheel seems relatively easy. I've seen varying reports from users that claim that the stock steel LS2 flywheel weighs 47-56 pounds. Although I'm tempted to buy an aluminum flywheel to save as much weight as possible, the best price/performance ratio is here (20 lbs) and here (18 lbs). If you know of a problem with either manufacturer, please let me know. I'm worried about the raised edge on the F1 Prolite--won't that cause problems?

Part #3: Spring Kit

This is where I'm really hoping for help. Since Edibach only offers spring kits for the stock CTS these days, I had to do some looking.

H&R offers a sport set here,
I also found a relatively expensive kit from Ground Control here.

I assume, based on the tutorials that I've read, that either will work with my stock load-leveling shocks (provided that I do the Nivomat modification described in the CTS FAQ). But here's the annoying caveat: I'd really like to have some measure of control over how far I drop this car, both for cosmetic reasons and because I may be buying bigger wheels. Is the GC kit the only one that'll satisfy this requirement?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Heard great things about PISNUOFF shifter, I went with B&M and its not bad at all

2. Talk to Luke at Lindsay and just buy the whole LS7 clutch kit from him so its bolt in, youll save yourself a headache

3. H&Rs are awesome, paird with some mightymouse spacers youll be all set.

4. Throw some headers on the car, best mod by far.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your clutch still good? I wouldn't bother replacing it until it is worn, use that money to get some axles.
Yes the stock flywheel sucks, but if it ain't broke.
UUC shifter is 300+ dollars if I remember correctly.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Is your clutch still good? I wouldn't bother replacing it until it is worn, use that money to get some axles.
Why would I get new axles if I'm not adding power to the car?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Why would I get new axles if I'm not adding power to the car?
Your logic is truly fuzzy.

Axles are needed because even at stock power levels the car is stupid to try to drive hard off of idle when it's dry, and when it's wet you might as well leave it in the garage. The econo axle and diff bushing are a HUGE change.

You're thinking is sound in replacing the shifter... it's ridiculous. B&M here also and no complaints.

I'm with the compton - if the clutch/flywheel is still functional, there's no need in changing it. The biggest reason I changed it was to hold the power from the maggie and I wanted it to rev faster. Just wait it out and use the money elsewhere.

Seriously... not solely a sales pitch here - buy my diablo tuner, kill the cags and turn off the rear O2's (or find someone local with an HPtuner and buy credits off of them [even cheaper]) then find an exhaust shop that will build you a test pipe and get the cats off of the car. You'll save a fortune that way and add a bit of power from the tuner/exhaust flow. I'd spend my money on this again before I unneccessarily replaced the clutch.

It is your cash though... do with it what you will.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really dont mind the stock clutch, the hanging revs are dumb but it holds like it was brand new... i guess as long as you know how to drive

1. PISNUOFF (Homebrew) Shifter (price unknown - asked for quote)
  2. Katech KAT-A3736 Shifter ($260)
  3. Lindsay Cadillac UUC Shifter (price unknown - asked for quote)
If you have a particular favorite, let me know why you like it. I'm so used to cutting my knuckles on my STI Driver's cigarette adapter (when I hit fifth gear) that this is going to be godsend from that perspective alone.

I have the Katech, nice short firm throw. very little play in gear. +threaded shaft for the ****... if i were to do it all over i would go with the PINUOFF shifter.. its cheaper and after trying it out in a friends v it was obvious that it had a shorter throw + a more positive engagement + you can get it customized to your desired hieght
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Tommy/Greddy - reading between the lines, it looks like your driving habits are far different than mine. I don't launch this car, period. I tend to drive extremely twisty roads out here in New England, and as a result, I'm far more interested in maintaining as much speed and control as possible through turns. Acceleration matters--a lot--but in third or fourth gear, you simply aren't going to run into wheel hop or be able to put the kind of torque on the rear axle that you will in first or second.

As far as dumping the cats and O2 sensors, I consider that irresponsible for a daily driver. I checked up on the Diablo Tuner--which model is it? As far as I can tell, they don't support CTS-V's, but they support the Corvette Z06. Speaking out of ignorance here, I would assume that each car reports a different vehicle ID through OB2, but maybe not. I'd be interested in picking up a vehicle tuner but unless there's a very detailed tuning tutorial out there that I can learn from, I'd rather leave tuning in the hands of someone that has decades of experience in playing with engine timing.

I've still got a pile of questions, so in the interest of brevity, let's try this:

1. There's a HUGE difference in price between the H&R and GC spring kits. If I do not want to drop the car more than one inch, will I need MM spacers?

2. See above. If I'd like to be able to adjust ride height from 0.75-1.00 inches, do I have to go with the GC spring kit?

3. Some LS7 flywheels have raised edges. A few (that I've found) do not. Can any of you confirm which flywheels are compatible with LS2 and LS7 clutches? See this thread for the reason behind my concern.

4. Remote bleeder kit. Yay or nay?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed. Same situation as you. Bought the car this week. Already have a Katech shifter on the way, as well as H&R springs and MM spacers. Also, I got some 2.5-4" tips from Summit on the way. I'll be having the mufflers cut out this week. I hate how the back end looks with the stock tips. I'll have about $140 in that mod (until I can get a real exhaust and some headers... at which time I'll be calling Frost for a tune). I also got some Z06 FRCs on the way. I've already driven the car hard enough to get the coolant temp light on, and I wasn't even on a track. It should help a bit. I'm painting the wheels this weekend (black - with engine paint until I have the time to wait on powdercoating - I have a silver car). I'm having the windows limo'd this week too. I'm planning to order the K&N intake, as well as MSD 8.5mm plug wires with socks this week. FWIW, I build websites. I'm building a website for a car audio shop, and we're trading out. So I'll have $4k or so of stereo equip in there. Has anyone actually put a different head unit in the car? I just hate this one so bad (can't enter destination while moving, buttons wearing off, no iPod jack, etc). Your observation on the flywheel and clutch isn't lost on me. It's horrible. I am a track driver who has had numerous cars with LWFW (lightweight flywheels) and immediately commented (even before the "OH **** THIS SHIFTER SUCKS!" comment) on how heavy the flywheel must be for it to fall so hard on the test drive. Also, the clutch feels like I'm rubbing a slightly wet sponge with my foot. I hate it.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Blakt, have you seen these wheels before? Can't find them anywhere.

What's FRC (fluid something cooling)?

You seem pretty confident in your build. Why did you pick H&R and MM spacers? How far are you planning on dropping your car? As I understand it, MM spacers are only required if you want to lower the car by more than 1 inch.

Just for fun: check out this video comparison of the stock vs. LS7 lightweight flywheel.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FRC = Fuel Rail Cover
Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Just purchased Magnaflow Exhaust #16537 for $675 shipped. Blakt, this is a steal--check it out.

Will be adding more later. Trying to decide whether or not to go with Kooks or Pacesetter headers. I'm tempted to save a mint and go with the Pacesetters, but after looking around, I realize that if I want to add high-flow catalytic converters to the Pacesetter package, it's really not that great of a deal. Jury's still out.

Anyone have any definitive information on wrapping headers (engine temp, header lifetime reduction, moisture/rust problems, the advantage of titanium materials)?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Just purchased Magnaflow Exhaust #16537 for $675 shipped. Blakt, this is a steal--check it out.

Will be adding more later. Trying to decide whether or not to go with Kooks or Pacesetter headers. I'm tempted to save a mint and go with the Pacesetters, but after looking around, I realize that if I want to add high-flow catalytic converters to the Pacesetter package, it's really not that great of a deal. Jury's still out.

Anyone have any definitive information on wrapping headers (engine temp, header lifetime reduction, moisture/rust problems, the advantage of titanium materials)?
Could've saved even more by skipping the magnaflow catback and fabbing in an x-pipe instead. The stock catback is 2.5" stainless and so is the Magnaflow. The tips look cool and the muffs sound different than stock so there's that. You could gut your stock muffs as well for a unique sound since catbacks are a cosmetic mod (save the B&B, 3" diameter though FWIW). As far as headers go, one other option for the budget minded is OBX 1-7/8" stainless which is pretty much a knock-off SS kooks with fake cats. Bear in mind though, OBX "catted" connectors wont pass a sniffer test for emissions.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

So you're saying I just wasted my money on a cosmetic change?

Clarification: I'm buying Kooks or OBX headers, and figured that I needed to replace the entire exhaust system in order to see any benefit from the headers. After all, the weakest link in the chain (be it the pipe, cats, or mufflers) applies, right?

If you think I'm wasting my money (I don't give a rip about making the car louder), let me know and I'll cancel my order.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Clarification: I'm buying Kooks or OBX headers, and figured that I needed to replace the entire exhaust system in order to see any benefit from the headers. After all, the weakest link in the chain (be it the pipe, cats, or mufflers) applies, right?

If you think I'm wasting my money (I don't give a rip about making the car louder), let me know and I'll cancel my order.
SOrry if I came off sarcastic, but seriously, save your money..cancel the order if you dont care about a specific sound the Magnaflow can give you. An x-pipe welded in will save you $400-500 dollars off the $6xx your going to throw down on that catback. You can have the tips of your liking welded on down the road as well. Its also a waste of perfectly good stainless steel as they both have the same diameter.
Also with the magnaflow, you'll have to have welding done for fitment issues with kooks or maybe other headers. Hacking up the stock catback is waay easier mentally than an aftermarket catback that you threw down some change on.

Heres a crappy vid of my x-pipe/gutted muffler setup. I had the Magnaflow and sold it off as I got sick of hauling my stock catback around when I move (and times are tough too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwirccdtMkw
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea catback is like 2hp unless you do B&B and forced induction. The manifolds and the stock cats are the only real restriction on our cars until you hit serious power.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay, well I contacted the seller to see if I can cancel the Magnaflow. Regardless of whether or not he allows it, I got a great deal so I won't be *that* annoyed.

In the meantime, I ordered OBX headers, Katech short throw shifter, and a 160 degree thermostat.

Couple of follow-up questions:

1. Should I wrap the headers? If so, what material would you recommend?
2. What's the deal with 160 degree thermostats and cold weather?
3. How hard will it be to swap in/out the cats for emissions checks?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, well I contacted the seller to see if I can cancel the Magnaflow. Regardless of whether or not he allows it, I got a great deal so I won't be *that* annoyed.

In the meantime, I ordered OBX headers, Katech short throw shifter, and a 160 degree thermostat.

Couple of follow-up questions:

1. Should I wrap the headers? If so, what material would you recommend?
2. What's the deal with 160 degree thermostats and cold weather?
3. How hard will it be to swap in/out the cats for emissions checks?

3. if you wanted to use the stock cats, you would haev to swap the entire header/cat in and out... not worth it... you would have to have cats fabbed into the obx connectors, which if you were going to do, i would just run cats all the time (which for a street driven car, i recommend)

As for a question further up, even if you only want to lower the car 1" you will still need a system to modify the rear shocks as they will pump it back to stock height.

If you are looking for maintaining speed, and do not launch the car, i am not sure a lighter flywheel has much to offer you... it seems like the lighter flywheel will help you more in taking off in 1st and 2nd, with diminishing benefits for each gear after that.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From all I've read, yes exhaust changes on a fairly stock car are just for looks and sound improvement.

You can also get a little extra sound from the stock system for free by gutting the mufflers. Or for cheap, you can replace the mufflers with straight pipe or the straight-through muffler of your choice.

If you search, a guy dynoed his mildly modded car with the factory catback and with cutouts opened. Difference was like 2hp.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...de-please.html

Actually applies to any shifter.