General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car randomly shut off...2 codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car randomly shut off...2 codes

I was driving and all of a sudden all the cluster lights came on and the needles did thier reset thing and went all the way to the right and came right back to operating level. Did this 3 times before I could "coast" and find a place to pull over. Before I pulled over the engine shut off and I could manually steer and still brake but then a few seconds later the brakes were gone like if the car was off and then just died. I got out and looked around and nothing was loose or disconnected. Started right up and the 10 min. drive home nothing happened.

Scanned it for codes and all that comes back is P0200 for injector circuit and P1637 for the L Terminal exciter wire that I've had for a while now and never had any problems. Just waiting on parts to troubleshoot/fix.

Any ideas what would cause this and a first place to start looking?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might have a problem with the PCM, specifically the driver that controls injector pulse. There is a possibility that you have a wiring problem in the injector harness so a good first start is to either ohm up each injector or get a noid light and see if you have none operating. Your best bet is to ohm them up because if they all ohm up the same then you know there isn't a wiring issue and the problem is internal in the PCM.

From the sounds of it, I'm thinking once your PCM gets too hot the driver is failing in it. That's why it fired up after the car cooled down for 10 minutes...that's my thinking anyways.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What happened to the voltage gauge when all this happened? It sounds like you could have lost power (consistent with all symptoms) and the injector code may just be telling you that they lost power.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

The voltage guage went all the way to full and then back down to 0 then back to in between 1/2 and 3/4. All of the others (Speedo, Tach, fuel, oil, temp) did that too. Its weird the way it happened. It was like a glitch. After looking around more closley today, I did find that the wiring harness by the #2 cylinder was resting againts the block close to my header. Zip tied it out of the way. Having to drive to work today, nothing ever happened again like that.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did your wire melt through? It's sounding like you either had a short or a loose connection to the alternator/battery.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

Nothing melted through. Took off the plastic covering and the wires resting near the block looked ok and were not melted or burnt through. I also undid all the other grounds and and connections, scrapped off what little rust and corrosion was there.

Quick Reply: Car randomly shut off...2 codes