Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

upside down shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upside down shifter

my mechanic installed the UUC for the stocker, called me and said "yey, the shifter **** is upside down." So what happened here? The bottom of the shifter went in backwards, I guess? Sounds like a pretty easy thing to fix. Dude was pretty embarrassed! He did the Maggie, balancer, in tank fuel pump, axles and CV's, headers and exhaust all under a week. Guess the easy one ended up being the hardest. Anyone know how to fix this, besides putting on one of those plain color pool cue shifter *****?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

???? i have no idea what you mean by the **** is upside down.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Put a lock nut under the shift boot, put the **** straight and tighen the lock nut.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NvyBlue
Put a lock nut under the shift boot, put the **** straight and tighen the lock nut.
No threads on our shifters, our shift ***** are press on.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume he means it's facing backwards. Disconnect the shifter from the linkage underneath the car, roate 180 deg, and reassemble.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
???? i have no idea what you mean by the **** is upside down.
Sounds like it's facing the rear of the car vs the front.

And to the OP, isn't the fix to remove the shifter and reinstall it correctly?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I assume he means it's facing backwards. Disconnect the shifter from the linkage underneath the car, roate 180 deg, and reassemble.
^^^^ this
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Default retarded UUC install

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
^^^^ this
called Luke at Lindsay and guess what-"we've been receiving a number of these $400 "top of the line" shifters lately that have been assembled BACKWARDS! Well, I'm speechless on this one (for a while, anyway). Called Robb, President of UUC in Alpharetta GA who took my call. Said "send it overnight, I'll send you a new one. Or, just out and by a shifter **** that faces either way, like one of those big ol 8 *****. I'm ok with any of this, but my mechanic has about 6 hours in assembling, reassembling, scratching his head, etc., etc. I think he should get paid his hourly rate for having to screw around with a defective item that is "the best one money can buy." What do you guys think because we are the ones buying all this stuff based MAINLY on reputation?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I just imstalled mine. All you have to do is what the other guys said, unbolt from linkage and rotate 180 degrees.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS2duc
called Luke at Lindsay and guess what-"we've been receiving a number of these $400 "top of the line" shifters lately that have been assembled BACKWARDS! Well, I'm speechless on this one (for a while, anyway). Called Robb, President of UUC in Alpharetta GA who took my call. Said "send it overnight, I'll send you a new one. Or, just out and by a shifter **** that faces either way, like one of those big ol 8 *****. I'm ok with any of this, but my mechanic has about 6 hours in assembling, reassembling, scratching his head, etc., etc. I think he should get paid his hourly rate for having to screw around with a defective item that is "the best one money can buy." What do you guys think because we are the ones buying all this stuff based MAINLY on reputation?
Hate to say it but if it takes 6 hours to install a shifter, and you still cant tell something is up.....maybe he's not the right person to work on the car.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Default backward shifter

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
I just imstalled mine. All you have to do is what the other guys said, unbolt from linkage and rotate 180 degrees.
your not getting the picture of what has happened here. The SHIFTER was assembled BACKWARDS, Theres only ONE WAY it can go in. So, MY stock CTS-V **** is FACING BACkWARDS. I called UUC, spoke to owner of the company. He admits "this has been happening lately, disassamble the whole mess and overnight it to me and I will send a correct unit." OK mechanic, whoses never done any of these has fucked around with it all day trying to make it fit (which it never will). Now he's looking at taking the whole thing apart, sending it off and then reinstalling the new one. Bet your *** I'd be looking for some $$ for screwing around all day with "the best shifter you can buy for your CTS-V. Does this clear up the picture at all?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
WRONG! The shifter was assembled backwards. Owner of UUC admitted this to me over the phone. MY mechanic has messed with it all day, not knowing it was defective. NO UUC bosss says "just remove it ,pack it up and send it to us overnight, then reinstall the correct unit." I" m OK with this buy the dude doing all the work isn't to pleased about doing and install, then a removal then another install, all for freel. I don't blame him and I'm not gonna pay him for a fucked up $400 shifter! I honestly don't think I'd buy anything from a company that cant put a shifter together straight!!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Hate to say it but if it takes 6 hours to install a shifter, and you still cant tell something is up.....maybe he's not the right person to work on the car.
Maybe if it was the RIGH SHIFTER that WASNT CONSTRUCTED backwards! Then hes gotta remove the *** backwards piece, box it up for postal back to UUC, wait for the new one, then reinstall the corrected piece. This dude fucked with the defective UUC shifter for all day Wednesday before he gave it up. I called Luke at Lindsay and got "oh yea, we been seein some of those lately." He gave me UUC owners number who promised to replace with a "right one." Sorry guys, but for $400 shifter and all this bullshit, there should be no "wrong ones." My wrech has quit for now untill UUC makes things good. MY V sits on the lift EVERYTHING done, except the defective shifter. Maggie, harmonic balancer, custom in tank fuel pump, headers and exhaust, be nice to DRIVE it soon!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

Thats crazy. Well two or so weeks ago i got a factory defect uuc shifter fron lindsey cadillac. But UUC sent me one steaight from there next day air.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS2duc
Now he's looking at taking the whole thing apart, sending it off and then reinstalling the new one. Bet your *** I'd be looking for some $$ for screwing around all day with "the best shifter you can buy for your CTS-V. Does this clear up the picture at all?
Good luck with that. Yeah it sucks, but that's how it goes when installing aftermarket stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work right or fit right. The company is not going to pay for your labor because of that.

Sounds like you have a choice to make, remove it and send it back, go back to the stocker, or get a different shift ****. Maybe UUC can machine you a backwards **** at cost?

No offense, but if you think that buying expensive aftermarket parts means they should fit and work perfectly, you are in for some heartbreak. Hopefully the rest of your installs go well and you can get down to enjoying your car.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Post a picture of the shifter, I'm still confused why you can't just turn it 180.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/CTSV/USSCTSV.htm

Here is a pic I found on the net. I'm stumped why it can't be turned around?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aurora40
Good luck with that. Yeah it sucks, but that's how it goes when installing aftermarket stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work right or fit right. The company is not going to pay for your labor because of that.

Sounds like you have a choice to make, remove it and send it back, go back to the stocker, or get a different shift ****. Maybe UUC can machine you a backwards **** at cost?

No offense, but if you think that buying expensive aftermarket parts means they should fit and work perfectly, you are in for some heartbreak. Hopefully the rest of your installs go well and you can get down to enjoying your car.
UUC agreed to comp me the $169 top of the line **** that goes on either way, NOt the prettiest **** I've manhandled in my 57 years, but looks and grips dont always go hand in hand! Ill let you know..
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Post a picture of the shifter, I'm still confused why you can't just turn it 180.
I am in no way a mechanic. I DROVE trains for 20 years, couldn't tell you a lick about fixin em. And some of those bastards were 50 years old when I was runnin em in the '70s! I just had "the knack or the feel" for the brutes with 10,000 plus HP. Same with cars and bikes-anything I try to fix ends up more messed up and costs twice as much. I actually did plug a tire last week, only because none of the big tire stores would fix it. Damn thing held up, too! Anyway, when I decided to lust after the V, I just listened to all you smart people in the forums. I got a 2006 Infrared V with 3,200 miles on the clock. Said F*** it, and just started buying UUC shifter, because you said they were the best, Maggie from Hendrix, because you said they were the cheapest (not true, in fact), Hendrix 1000 HP axles, because, well you know why. I bought the Racetronix in tank fuel pump because my mechanic said "I'm not doing the build unless you loose the Magnavolt. I got sick of waiting for Kooks, so I went cheap and got the Chinese version on Ebay. So heres my $400 UUC shifter-really is a work of art I must agree. They are built in 2 pieces, but the bottom only goes in one way. Mine was built backwards, goes in just fine and shifts just fine. But the **** has only one orientation on that top piece. So my **** only goes on upside down. Not such a big deal, but I been buying expensive toys for a good number of years now and a $400 accessorie should be ******* PERFECT. Robb, owner of UUC agreed with this and also agreeed to overnight me a corrected piece. MY mechanic got kind of ugly at this time, pointing out the 2 hours to install, 2 hours calling around and trying to figure out what the problem was. He has never changed out a CTS-V shifter, which is funny because he owns one! Anyway, so overnight it back and a couple more hours to reinstall the correct piece. Thats 5 or 6 hours at $60 per and the work he didn't do on other customers cars while screwing aroung with mine. UUC Robb stated "too bad, nature of the business." I bought my "backwards" UUC and got comped a fairly nice shifter, but my mechanic just this week got a Magnuson Franchise, only 3 in my state. Not sure, but he's not likely to be pushing UUC merchandise! Theres a guy on the other Caddillac owners forum goes by Pisinuoff. He takes your stock shifter, new or old style and reworks it for under $200 bucks. Reports coming in so far have been "at least if not better than UUC." I love America, mostly because we have competition. 10 year ago did anyone even dream a freakin Cadillac would top the Nurumburing? A friggin 200 mPH STATION WAGON!!?? for under 70 thousand dollars? Mercedes AMG, BMW M series all shittin bricks about right now
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aurora40

UUC sent "best shifter" its on the lindsay homepage lists for $169 and has universal design allowing it to be mouned either direction. I had to argue like a MF for "free," dude wanted 1/2!! heres the comp:http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/catalog...-for-cts-v.htm
funny looking little guy, but I gues I'll learn to love it!

Quick Reply: upside down shifter