Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 Firebird coupe wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Firebird coupe wiring question

I'm rewiring my stereo system, and I have 2 questions. 1. Can I use the signal from the factor tweeter wires to wire my new door speakers and bypass the amp or is the crossover somewhere further up the line. 2. I have 2 6.5 subwoofers that I need to power with an amp. Should I run them on seperate channels or should I bridge them and run them mono? Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

1. The tweeter wiring has an inline high-pass filter so only high frequencies reach the speakers.
2. It depends on your amp and on your speakers. Generally you will want to run 6.5" mid-bass on separate left and right channels because their frequency range lends itself to stereo separation unlike larger subs. But not all amps are bridgeable and it may not be stable at the impedance of your speakers when bridged.

Perhaps you should post more details about what you're doing and what you want to accomplish.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two front 6.5's in the door are dead, my passenger side sail panel sub wiring has a short in it along with missing speakers, and I'm doubting the overall functionality of the amplifier so I'm rewiring everything. I have a Pioneer DEH-6300UB headunit (50x4 peak) that I want to run my Alpine SPS 600C component speakers in the door off of as well as 6x9's which I'm undecided about which to purchase to go in the hatch area where the 4" components used to be. I also have two Kicker COMPVT65 subwoofers (150w RMS/300W peak) I'm going to mount in my sail panels. I want the two subs ran off a seperate amplifier than everything else. I may potentially add a 10" stealth box later on, but I don't really want to. The biggest thing is that I want my car to look completely stock. I'm not out to spend a ton of money, but I don't mind spending a little extra. I really just want my stereo to work again because right now hardly anything does.