Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 questions

Hey everyone my name is Justin and I am coming from the BMW world. (I know typical NOOB intro) I am swapping an LS3 into a 1995 E36 M3 and have a few questions for you guys so I can start the shopping list.

I just picked up the LS3 from a member here a few nights ago, its just the longblock with nothing else. I need help with what will fit and what will not.

*FYI I will be running an Ls3 intake manifold with 90mm TB*

1. What coil packs can I run? Just LS3 or will any LSX coil packs work?

2. I need the accessories bracket and accessories (Power steering and Alternator) What will work and what will not? Example will Ls1 f body stuff work? If so then what water pump will work?

3. What harness and PCM should I run? The motor already has VVT delete and I will be using a cable for the throttle not DBW. Should I just go with the Ebay hotrod harnesses?

4. Will all the LSx starters work?

5. What fuel pressure regulator? or does the LS3 have it built into the fuel rail?

Thanks in advance for the help any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

You can bolt all LS stuff to any LS motor, all the mounts are the same, it's just a matter of what will and wont fit inside whatever particular car body.

LS3 uses a PCM fuel system with no mechanical regulator. You should either use an LS1 style rail with regulator, or you'll have to swap to a pcm system.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this swap on my 98 and everything that bolted to the motor ie, starter, front acc. drive, crank pully, bolted right to the ls3. The knock sensors are on the side of the block on the ls3.I run an l76 intake and ls7 injectors with an ls3 rail. The l76 and ls3 manifolds are almost the same so rails and injectors interchange.You can't use an ls1 rail on an ls3 or l76 intake, the injector height is different for the ls1. Also the ls3 rail doesn't use that pulse dampner that is on ls1 rails. Ls1 coils are ok too, but if they are from a 97 or 98 you need 99 and up coil brackets. The ls3 uses a 58x crank wheel so the ls1 pcm won't work unless you get a convertion box from ligenfelter.That's what I did but if you can just use a pcm that works with the 58x or convert it to the earlier 24x that is the better way since you are doing more of a custom install in a different type of car.The box I have works great but why have an extra component if you can do it without it.

Quick Reply: Ls3 questions