Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 402 stroker

Hi guys,

So I bought an LS2 block and I have a 1975 Pontiac Trans Am that's it's going into. It's going to be a 6.6L twin turbo mated to a Tremec T56. So my first step is to get the block to 6.6L. I know there is a 402 stroker kit out there, so here are my questions:

If I get a 402 stroker kit, can I get it with forged pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft?

If I get a 402 stroker kit, what needs to be done to the block? (I'm new to boring/stroking etc...)

I'd rather bore it (or some bore, some stroke) rather than stroke it only... can the LS2 block be bored out to 6.6L?

Any other pointers? Advice? Dos and Don'ts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be cheaper to just buy a stroker kit with a 4" crank and call it a day.
You can't bore a LS2 block to a 6.6L with stock liners. If you want a much bigger bore you're going to need to have the block resleeved and that's not too cheap...around 2K.
Just buy a complete stroker kit and it'll be much cheaper. I've never heard of anyone buying a stroker kit with anything other than forged pistons for the LS engines.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM

I see. Thanks for the info, to be honest that sounds much more appealing, I'd rather save the 2k!

So what additional work to the block needs to be done if I get the stroker kit (if any)?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Look im not trying to come across as a *** here but if your totally new to engine building. A 402 twin turbo setup is not a good place to start. Hire it done by someone very knowledgable in LS engines. Im currently building a NA 434 and im having ERL Performance build it. So far they have been very nice to work with.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xRipx
I see. Thanks for the info, to be honest that sounds much more appealing, I'd rather save the 2k!

So what additional work to the block needs to be done if I get the stroker kit (if any)?
The only time I'd resleeve the block is if I wanted to go with way more cubic inches....say like a 433 or 441.

As for the block, there's nothing really extra you need to do. It's never a bad idea to have the block completely cleaned and inspected. The only problem that some run into is making clearance notches and that's only if it's needed.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM

rennocneb,

I'm NOT new to engine building OR forced induction, I've built 2 engines since 2007 (both were Jeep 4x4 engines). However I AM new to 1) LS engines and 2) displacement modification. I'm working with someone who has experience in this particular field and I'm in regular correspondence with someone who has built an LS2 Twin Turbo. Besides, I'm not going to get anywhere if I don't ask questions. Plus, I've budgeted out this build and there no room to spend thousands on labor.

Now, back on topic...

This block is actually brand new from GM Performance (build in 2009 I believe), so it sounds like it's ready to go. Just to be safe, I'll have it inspected.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a good book to help you if you want build your own LS motor. The author used to work for TSP and was a moderator here at one point.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Modify-E...owViewpoints=1
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Cool, thanks for the info! I bought several books for the LS series, including super/turbocharging and swapping, but this one I don't have. Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default boost

Why not hi comp N-A with a killer cam? the problem with boost is; you better know how to select your core parts, and I'm trying to be a downer here, my experience with boost is, you need at least a cast iron lq9 block and 5/8 thick head decks, 6 bolts per cldr is the best way to go.

the block you have, and with similar quality heads you need to keep power below 575whp, or you are going to change a lot of head gaskets, you know is that time when every thing is rite and the engine runs hot quickly, pm me i know some one who is selling a 6 bots per cldr lq9 block, heads and pistons for less than the price of a headache, I'm putting my name on the line here, i know that hardware is in top shape, he even have the cam and timing chain, all you need is the crank, as he is using it to build an ls7/lsx big inch deal...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man you newbs need to search........... like some places where if you dont have X posts you cannot sell if you dont have X searches you cannot ask questions

Quick Reply: LS2 402 stroker