Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Top Engine Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Top Engine Cleaner

has any one used any of this stuff?? i have heard that it works really well.

i am thinking of picking it up and seen how much crap and smoke comes out of the exhaust and oil

gotta keep the top of the pistons shiny

also whats better the spray or can one???
Old 02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have used it a few times with good luck... but seafoam seem to work better… you can find it at NAPA and a few other places local I’m sure.

The Can is the best but the spray is good to clean the TB…

Use the hole where the PCV hooks up to the intake to suck the clearer in. some guys use the brake booster vacuum line.

As you poor it in you want to keep the motor running so your going to Rev it up a little as you poor it in… once the can is half gone poor it all in at once to stall the motor.

Start the car backup in 30 min or let it work over night what ever time frame your on, “ make sure you get all the vacuum lines hooked backup” once you start the car up it’s going to have a hard time running so your going to need to rev up some until it can run on it’s own. At this point you should see a huge cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust. Let the car idle for a while and warm up… seems to work best on a warm motor. After maybe 10 or 15 min of Revving and idling drive the car around “it might stall a little because not all of the clear has burned off… “Don’t take it on the main roads it could die at anytime and the smoke will attract a lot of looks… maybe EPA? Or police? Once your done you might want to think about changing the oil… this is the good thing to do right before you change the oil.

Most ls1’s have problems with pulling oil in to the intake from the PCV “this is the real problem” but seems to be hard to fix. Catch can maybe?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the can and poured it into a smaller container. I then pulled my PCV valve out from the manifold and I let the vacumm suck it threw a straw.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I have used it on quite a few cars, It has alwase worked pritty well.

It has cured minor detonation problem, improved HP and drivability on most cars. I use the cans. I recomend doing it right before an oil change though.

I have done a cars with 100,000 miles that coverd the hole street with carbon smoke. LOL

Here is a old post regarding it
http://www.norcal-ls1.com/forum/show...threadid=16783

Also, I was advised buy a GM senior Mechanic to only due a little at a time (approx 1/4 can) 3-4 times with 5 min drive cycles in between to keep the chance of loosening up a large chunk of carbon that "may" not devolve all the way and adhere combustion area and harden causing a hot spot and making detonation even worse.

It does leave a strange smell coming from the exhaust for a while and color your plugs though so don't be alarmed.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the motor is really bad, you can pour the can type into the cylinders by removing the plugs... let it soak in there over night, then disconect the coil packs and turn the motor over til it pushes that crap out. it will smoke like a **** for awhile when you put it back together, but it works. we used to use it on the trucks we couldn't get the carbon knock out of.