Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

walbro 255s noisy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default walbro 255s noisy

I have a 72 firebird with lq4. I just put a sump on my tank and just installed two walbro 255s. The pumps are working and pumping a ton of fuel but are very noisy. Are these pumps normally loud or is their something i could check. They are mounted one on top of the other right in front of the fuel tank. I just read that i should have 10 gauge wire going to each pump and i only have 16 gauge on them, could they be under powered? I plan to change wiring just in case that is an issue.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change wiring, they draw a lot of amps. 16 gauge multi strand will burn them up. Solder your eyelet connections to prevent a resistance area. External aftermarket pumps are very loud.. I have a 255 inline on my '67 Camaro, and I can hear it from inside the cabin. A little sound deadening/dynamat will help to prevent the sound transmission through the floor.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have two external walbros with an external sump on my turbo Nova also. You need to wire one on a Hobbs or rpm switch. Mine are not noticeable with just one on at idle. With both on they are loud at idle and low speed. Also change the wiring, but its probably just having both of them on.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
I have two external walbros with an external sump on my turbo Nova also. You need to wire one on a Hobbs or rpm switch. Mine are not noticeable with just one on at idle. With both on they are loud at idle and low speed. Also change the wiring, but its probably just having both of them on.
do you have a pic of how your pumps are mounted? Should i have a check valve, i tried running one pump and it ran ok for a few minutes but then fuel pressure started bouncing around.