Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with my USB feature

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with my USB feature

Have any of you on here ever had problems with your head unit loosing communication with your USB feature? I have two head units from different companies anf sometimes after I shut off the car and come out and restart the car my head unit can't find or connect with my Flash drive. I unplug the flash drive and plug it back in and hit change source and all is well. I talked to the audio store here and they say it is pretty common. And they had no idea's on how to fix it. WTF! It never does it on my I-pod feature just my USB. It is just strange that both after market HU do it from time to time.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand headunits are they? Any extension cables between the HU and Thumbdrive?

That being asked; my Alpine (CDA-9886) I've had for 2 years has never had this issue (And has a 6' extension cable plugged into it so my Thumb drive can be in the center console)
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an eclipse HU and does have a 6' cable so it is in my glove box. I don't remember the Style # but it is a good one.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had that issue with my JVC, Fahrenheit, Pioneer, or Clarion units doing that. Never heard of it happening with a Kenwood either and first I have heard with Eclipse. However, no cable was used, USB was plugged straight into these with the exception of the Fahrenheit unit that had a little 3ft. cable. Don't see how the length of the cable may be an issue but maybe that is it. Also, I don't use larger then 4G drives.
There are some new units that will accept USB powered 250G hard drives and with video playback that I am getting ready for next month. These use the new Windows mobile operating system so it is also fast.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the cable; maybe have a bad connection or marginal connection with either the cable to the HU or the TB to the cable.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

It USUALLY is a problem with the GUI interfacing with the partition type with the USB/iPod. In a nutshell there is a disconnect when the software on the head unit tries to read the partition on the flash drive because it is trying to reload the file(s) from memory so that it can resume playing from the same track/time/playlist ETC. The error prevents this. But, when you switch sources and come back to the Flash/iPod the resume process is repeated and USUALLY is successful and the Flash/iPod starts from the beginning or is able to resume from the previous stored memory point.