Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What to do with my Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my Trans Am

I bought a 1999 trans am for my first car. Its not the first car i dove, just the first one i actually purchased. I love it, it's an amazing machine. But when i bought it i comitted a crime, i bought with a ton of stuff done to it. I mean a ton! And didnt do any of the work myself, im kinda kicking myself in the ***** for that now because, i dont really know all that much about cars. Actually, to be honest, im more of a bike guy. Even so...
I have this amazing powerful machine sitting outside right now, its been dyno tuned twice. I have a huge list of receits for all the parts that have been replaced. 402/Ls1 Iron Stroker Long Block, FAST intake replacement gaskets, head gaskets, Trick Flow CNC ported Cylinder Heads , Comp Cams Custom-Grind LS1 Camshaft, "Pro Race Series" transmission, 1/2'' aluminum drive shaft, Volant Cold Air Induction, intake manifold, fuel injectors, etc. etc. etc.
Im not trying to flaunt this list is someones face. Its just... way, way, over my head, and i dont want to destroy this machine. It looks like its headed that way.
I dont want to sell it, but that might be best for the car. i dont know what to do. If anyone has any sort of advice, im all ears.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to sell the car to someone that can appreciate it and knows what to do with it.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for, it sounds like you got a nice car. Are you saying you don't think you'll be able to maintain it?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you got deep pockets... if you cant do work yourself or troubleshoot then you have to pay for it.. Labor is the killer here...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM

ya know i would sell it rather than see it fall apart or break down. which its starting to do, I need to replace the coolant pump and the fuel pump and i have no idea what type of parts to put in it. I went to an auto parts store and asked for a hose for the coolant pump for a stock V8 '99 Trans Am. The part I got doesnt fit anywhere on my car. Damnit

Last edited by Lexander1616; 06-10-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for, it sounds like you got a nice car. Are you saying you don't think you'll be able to maintain it?
its not that i cant do something to once i know what to do. The problem is getting to that point.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, don't ask ask the part store guys anything. Any and all info you need is at your finger tips on this board. You will get nowhere with them. I walk in and tell them the exact part number I need. They have no reason to know what car I drive etc. They know me by first name.. However every once in a while a new guy will tell me the belt I'm getting is too small, I have an underdrive pulley which requires a smaller belt or that vettes o2s won't work on my car. I usually end up making them feel a bit dumb and it never happens again.

Now.. For your fuel pump.. Pull back the carpet that is between the rear seats and the ttop storage place.. If it looks like someone cut a 1ftx1ft square and then screwed/sealed it back up then a fuel pump swap will be a very easy thing to accomplish. Very simple tools and less than 1 hour of work even for you.

Show me what part you are talking about for your coolant pump or hose.. Whatever it is you are needing.

How do you know those need to be replaced?
Did he mention, or do you have a receipt, that it had a walbro 255 or a racetronix hotwire kit? I'm guessing there is no external fuel pump, right? You would see it near the rear under the car. Will be a big cylinder almost like a biscuit can and most like blue/red.

I see no reason to sell the car if it isn't a DD. I'm assuming you bought it as a toy. Therefore you fix it when time and money allows.

Nobody is going to think you are flaunting giving a normal 402 mod list, especially in a thread where it is relevant to the topic on hand.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1 on that. Parts store guys are ignorant 99.999% of the time. Your best bet is to learn the search function here. If it can be done, we have done it. If it cant be done, we have tried it..

Quick Reply: What to do with my Trans Am