Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

uh oh big problem and its a head scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default uh oh big problem and its a head scratcher

well i just finished my build for now on my 67 camaro ls1 t56 combo and have been driving it for a little while put about 500 miles on it then slowly started hammering it a little more and a little more well i tore out yesterday like i was being chased by the boogie man and when i got to fourth i missed, didnt go into a gear or nothing but just sat in neutralwell i let off the clutch and the whole car started shaking, pulled in somewhere and noticed i had no clutch pedal pressure, checked the resivoir and it was empty, so i put it in neutral and started it and it started but started shaking the whole car and kinda tryin to move but not really moving, i shut it off and put it in gear and started it, and drove it in first all the way home which was only like a mile, well when i got into the driveway i pushed it to neutral and it sounded fine, im now taking the car apart and im wondering if yall think its just in the clutch or if i have tranny malfunction and how can i check the tranny once its out of the car?? just put it in each gear and spin the input shaft?? any help is much appreciated. btw its a used spec 3 clutch a autozone slave cyl. and a used stage 2 tranny.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a few things, get it apart and let us know.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Steve. Pull the trans, inspect the clutch and slave cylender then if you find nothing it is time to look into the trans. With no pedal pressure it's probably going to be clutch/hydraulic related.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I'm with Steve. Pull the trans, inspect the clutch and slave cylender then if you find nothing it is time to look into the trans. With no pedal pressure it's probably going to be clutch/hydraulic related.
Pretty much.

Hopefully it's something simple in the hydraulics. The only thing that has me second guessing that is the vibration...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Pretty much.

Hopefully it's something simple in the hydraulics. The only thing that has me second guessing that is the vibration...
Yea, that has me wondering if the hub of the clutch disk might have failed. Only one way to find out. Time to turn some wrenches!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Yea, that has me wondering if the hub of the clutch disk might have failed. Only one way to find out. Time to turn some wrenches!
Indeed!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

If the missed shift caused the clutch to rebound against its normal rotation this could have damaged the plate and the straps that cause it to actuate which would throw-off balance. The input-shaft could also be tweaked which will cause vibration. When you get the parts out send me some pics, or post them here and I will be happy to help you with assessment. Thanks and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

He had me at "autozone slave cylinder."

I bet the slave went to **** and that caused him to miss the shift in the first place.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RADEoN
He had me at "autozone slave cylinder."

I bet the slave went to **** and that caused him to miss the shift in the first place.
lol yeah, im really hoping for just something hydraulic related, either way im working on taking it out sucks in 98 degree weather tho. time to crack some beers and get to working hopefully ill have it out by tomorrow, and i can post some pics and let everyone know. im just hoping its not the tranny because i dont have the money to pay to get it rebuilt id have to do it myself due to a recent ruptured achilles tendon. any ways ill let everyone know tomorrow hopefully thanks for the input from everyone i appreciate it greatly
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and can someone recommend a replacement slave cyl ? or does it have to be gm, remember im kinda broke at the moment lol
Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Launching!

best bet is with the GM unit, but you can get a deal from a Vendor here on them. Another trick, since you already have a slave that works for your setup, is to buy a new one from another platform that is much cheaper and just switch the lines off the slave.

Oh, dont know if it will help you or not, the easiest way to remove the T56 from the 1st gen without gouging up the tunnel area (if you care) is to removed the trans from the bellhousing first, then remove the bell housing. Alot easier to realign things when going back together too if you do that in reverse. (my brother has a 68 with LS2 & T56, I have has his out 3 or 4 times and that is the easiest way I have found)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RNation0001
lol yeah, im really hoping for just something hydraulic related, either way im working on taking it out sucks in 98 degree weather tho. time to crack some beers and get to working hopefully ill have it out by tomorrow, and i can post some pics and let everyone know. im just hoping its not the tranny because i dont have the money to pay to get it rebuilt id have to do it myself due to a recent ruptured achilles tendon. any ways ill let everyone know tomorrow hopefully thanks for the input from everyone i appreciate it greatly
Not to get ahead of ourselves but if there does happen to be anything wrong with the trans we can repair it for you. You don't have to spend big bucks on a full build or anything. Hopefully it is just a hydralic issue and you will be able to take care if it quick and easy.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

If you need a slave let me know. We have them on the shelf and I would be happy to help you with this. Thanks,
Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well fellas i got the engine and tranny out today and as far as i can tell its just my slave cyl. is gone. clutch looks good and i went thru the tranny gears spinning the input shaft and it all felt good so hopefully i wont get it put back together and it suck again.....

spec can u pm me a price on a slave cyl. and can someone recommend a slave that wont bust as easily that i can get local i really need this back up and running asap... heres some pics it cracked all the way around the back side of the slave. has anyone seen this before

Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Ive seen that happen when the transmission accidently falls off the jack and hits the slave on the bellhousing. Ive never personally seen it happen while just driving tho.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Check all of your alignment pins. There are two on the back of the block and two on the midplate of the trans where it bolts up to the bellhousing. I would also double check the condition of the pilot bearing.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Definitely check the alignment/dowel pins and the pilot too. I have not see this happen as a result of normal usage either (as Jeremy mentions above). A new slave/bearing will cost $105 if you buy it directly from me. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Quick Reply: uh oh big problem and its a head scratcher