Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Spun rod bearing (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun rod bearing (long story)

Several months ago I started hearing a ticking coming from the engine and was getting a random misfire code (p0300). I did a WOT run to see if I lost power and sure enough at 5500rpm the engine lugged and I let off. This was the exact symptom of the first two broken valve springs. I had the PRC dual .675" springs. Apparently they had several bad batches so my shop switched me to the PRC dual .650". I took it to the shop and they pulled everything apart and all the springs were fine. I eventually got used to the ticking and dint notice it anymore. That leads to 2 months later. After meeting Silver-V- for lunch my car would not start. Jumping did not work so onto a tow truck and off to Sewell Grapevine (closest dealer). They gave me a loaner and I was on my way. They found that the positive battery cable had melted and shorted on the header. No big deal, $850 to fix and all is well. So I pay and they bring my car around...it sounds like crap. I hear a very noticeable knocking and it is not idling correctly. Dealer says that since the battery was dead the car is just trying to relearn the tune, I accept that answer and drive off. The car feels like hell and the CEL starts flashing. I pull over and pull the code, cylinder 8 misfire (P0308). The next day I take it to the shop to have them investigate. 4 hours later its bad news. Data logging shows cylinder 8 was misfiring 1000 times per minute. They checked, double checked connections, springs, pushrods, rockers and swapped injectors, plugs, plug wires etc. This means the problem is in the bottom end. At that point I went with a stock rebuild of the bottom end with a few goodies like LS7 lifters, ported oil pump and 102mm Maf and 102mm CAI. Other than that all else will be stock.

The new block is fully assembled and will be installed tomorrow and tuned up this week. They said there was metal shavings in the oil and what was left of the bearing at the bottom of my oil pan. It was hard for me not to do heads and other upgrades while they were into the motor, but the wife was already pissed enough. It will be nice to have the V back, she has been down since April 22.

The curious thing is that on my way to lunch, the car drove perfectly. What happened at the dealer that lead to the bearing letting go? They claim that they didn't even test drive it. Conveniently I can not verify the mileage due to the car being dead. The service adviser was a great guy, helped me as much as he could and was a car guy himself (10 second GN). Its not him I don't believe, its the techs in the back that I dont trust.

Here is our truck towing the V to SNL.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats, I bet ur stoked.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's just making these posts so he keeps having an excuse to post the picture of his V AND his Raptor

IF they replaced any of the rods due to excessive wear on them from the bearing shavings from floating around down there, see if you can get them to give you the old rods!

If you mount them on a nice piece of wood out in the garage, you can turn it into a nice coat hanger out there, or something similar

I know guys that have snapped a rod, have taken the smaller end and used it as a keychain, kind of a badge of honor.

-meaty

Last edited by meatyCTS-V; 06-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wcryan
congrats, I bet ur stoked.
I cant wait to drive it again! I would not wish any man be without his V for 2 months.

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
I think he's just making these posts so he keeps having an excuse to post the picture of his V AND his Raptor

-meaty
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Any luck going after the dealer for forcing you to drive the car off the lot that wasn't fully functioning properly?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Damn that sucks. Good luck. Nice car.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by serik21
Any luck going after the dealer for forcing you to drive the car off the lot that wasn't fully functioning properly?
Nope, they claimed that they didn't even test drive it after the repair. They cannot verify that the car was or was not running like that when it came it...because it wasn't running.

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
Damn that sucks. Good luck. Nice car.
Thanks, I can't wait to start driving it again in a few days.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

its the techs in the back that I dont trust.
Aw C'mon, Service Techs would never beat on a customers performance car... Even if it was brand new with only 108 miles on it...

BTW, Nice Raptor!
Attached Thumbnails Spun rod bearing (long story)-2008-viper-1344461233-.jpg   Spun rod bearing (long story)-2008-viper-1344461133-.jpg   Spun rod bearing (long story)-2008-viper-1344461333-.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need some driving lessons before you take your viper out next time!

I remember reading a story on the Mustang forums a few years ago, some guy dropped off his car (I think it was a Cobra, something crazy fast) to the dealership, and one of his buddies said he saw his car being driven really ignorantly on the street. The guy ended up having a big lawsuit with the dealership for them trashing his car and the techs racing it around town.

It's a shame those people can't respect other peoples stuff.

-meaty
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
Aw C'mon, Service Techs would never beat on a customers performance car... Even if it was brand new with only 108 miles on it...

BTW, Nice Raptor!
Oh damn! I hope it worked out well for you in the end?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
You need some driving lessons before you take your viper out next time!

It's a shame those people can't respect other peoples stuff.

-meaty
Why me? I'm the owner, not the Tech who wrecked it.

Last edited by mhhamrhead; 06-12-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

remind me to put a camera in my car the next time I have to leave it with a dealership
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whisler151
Oh damn! I hope it worked out well for you in the end?
It did! Their insurance company totalled the car and cut me a check. Then I went out and bought this new '08 (basically identical) and had a nice chunk of cash leftover!
Attached Thumbnails Spun rod bearing (long story)-2008-viper-x-2-022.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why me? I'm the owner, not the Tech who wrecked it.
The " " was the giveaway I was being a little sarcastic

Whisler, Has anyone at the dealership said anything about a Ford towing in a GM to be fixed? I'm sure you've got to be the talk of the town

-meaty
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

whisler its not the fact that they dont know how it was or was not running when u brought it in, its the fact that you brought it in cuz it was not running they said they fixed it, im assuming they didnt tell you it needed other things done? so it would be a liability on there part if they let you drive it off the lot without signing a waiver, i know in wa leschwab got sued because they only replaced 1 tire on a suv and didnt require him to replace the other one, well his old tire poped on the way home he rolled the suv and won the lawsuits now any leshscwab u go here require you to change the tires they say need to be changed or u have to sign a waivor form
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you go with the same cam or the 228r? curious to see the results. Should have put rings in it so you can hit it witha 250 shot!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

It did! Their insurance company totalled the car and cut me a check. Then I went out and bought this new '08 (basically identical) and had a nice chunk of cash leftover!
damn good to hear, after the way that car looked, I would have been demanding a replacement vehicle

to op, sorry about the bad luck, glad your getting your car back though

Quick Reply: Spun rod bearing (long story)