Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

240 sx 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 sx 4.8

Hello all, I am new to the forum world (except that I read them but have never posted anything.) Anyways had some ?s about the swap I am going to attempt
I have a 89 s13 and am thinking of going w/ a 4.8 LR4 from a truck since they are dirt cheap and going to probably build it to a 5.3
Was thinking of using a Daft Install kit, will this work? not sure if the mount holes on the 4.8 are the same as the LS1 also i believe a t56 will bolt w/ pilot bearing installed of course but not 100% From my research it seems I will have to use f-body accessories and intake but how about the PCM and Harness do I need an LS1 harness and computer or can I use the 4.8 stuff. Also are the mounting for the headers the same as the LS1's or will I need diff heads? Any info and or confirmation would be much appreciated!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are converting to the an LS1 intake the injector connectors will be different from the truck intake. Also, MAF on the truck is 5-pin while the LS1 is 3-pin. You can use the 4.8 PCM (assuming it is drive by cable) and have it reflashed for a manual transmission. Hope this helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

thanks jon any info helps
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by awal_9803
Hello all, I am new to the forum world (except that I read them but have never posted anything.) Anyways had some ?s about the swap I am going to attempt
I have a 89 s13 and am thinking of going w/ a 4.8 LR4 from a truck since they are dirt cheap and going to probably build it to a 5.3
Was thinking of using a Daft Install kit, will this work? not sure if the mount holes on the 4.8 are the same as the LS1 also i believe a t56 will bolt w/ pilot bearing installed of course but not 100% From my research it seems I will have to use f-body accessories and intake but how about the PCM and Harness do I need an LS1 harness and computer or can I use the 4.8 stuff. Also are the mounting for the headers the same as the LS1's or will I need diff heads? Any info and or confirmation would be much appreciated!
Why build the 4.8 up to a 5.3? Just buy a 5.3 they are cheap too

I am using truck motor mounts on an LS1 so I would say that they are the same

The exhaust and intake are interchangable

I beleive the truck engine is missing a hole for one of the bellhousing bolts but it is not a big deal

Fbody accessories will be needed to clear the hood

Use the truck computer and harness
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Just spend the extra cash and get an LS1/T56 pullout. I tried going the truck engine route for my Z31 but ended up buying so many LS1 parts to make it fit that I negated most of my savings. A few extra bucks will save a ton of headaches down the road.

Truck engines will take a T56 no problem, but the F-body alternator bracket will require you to drill and tap your block for a hole that isn't there on the truck engines. LS1 intake/fuel rails will bolt right up, but the injector plugs are different so you will have to solder different injector pigtails onto your harness. Motor mounts are all the same bolt pattern.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I agree I had built an LQ9 for my 240sx, and budgeted for my 6.0l build I came out less than an LS2 pullout, but it adds up quick getting LS parts for the truck motor.

I would add up all your swap needs and see how much more it would be for an LS1. Then go from there. I would at least look at a 5.3 or LQ4 all are fairly cheap. There's an alum version of the 5.3 or something too I hear.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Teching In

ok thanks to all for your inputs and I will add up everything i need and see where i end up

Quick Reply: 240 sx 4.8